Safe and Climbable Plants?

treebeard

I've had this ongoing problem finding plants that are safe AND climbable. I have no idea what all the plants are on these lists you find everywhere, there are no pictures, and I'm running out of options since it's the end of the season for plants here.

For now, the local stores have very few plants (and no, none of them are organic) but I need something in there. I just moved my veiled (Morpheus) into a larger enclosure that's 36" high, and first I put in a pothos I had but it's impossible to climb on it, and it just dips down too low, so he pretty much ignored it. He just keeps climbing around on the screen. - I attached a pic :)

So I ran out and found 2 plants that looked strong enough to climb and still provide some cover, a Braided Pachira and a Yucca. I couldn't find the Pachira on any 'safe' list, so I came home with a yucca, but I don't like the serrated edges. Since it's on the "safe plants list" I figured Morpheus would be fine, but I honestly can't wait to get it out of there. I'm about to go pick up the pachira. I don't know what else to do at this point. There's nothing else available.

I have read so many differing opinions on the money tree, I know there are 2 ideas on this one, but it looks like the perfect plant for him. I don't have any other options, I live in the desert LOL!

I've tried searching online for plants to purchase, but you can't tell from a picture if it's a strong plant or not, and I don't want a flimsy (or viney) plant in there.

I've searched, but there aren't any lists around that actually mention anything about how strong the plants are. I'm worried the yucca is going to do some serious damage, so I'm hoping to find something online that I can order that's safe and can be climbed on. Anyone know of a site that lists "climbable" and safe plants?

Thanks!! (sorry so long winded)

Attachments

• IMG_2451.jpg
    IMG_2451.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_2455.jpg
    IMG_2455.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 320
flchams.com/safe_plant_list.asp

It doesn't list climable but it does list safe plants. Pothos plants are easy to find and you can hang them inside your setup making it climable. Ficus trees also. The site lists a lot of chamelon safe plants .
Good luck ! I need some new plants myself .

I agree, ficus is a good option. Hibiscus are great, but only if you have a fluorescent tube plant light for them in addition to the lights your cham needs. Hibiscus won't grow without lots of light.

I use Scheflerra (Umbrella) in all 3 of my enclosures. It is a bit of a mix between flimsy (for the smaller branches) and very sturdy. My chameleons LOVE them and the leaves are a great size for licking up water :p They sell them in a small tree form and a bush form. I use the tree for my female because she has her lay box in her enclosure. Anyway...long story short...Scheflerra is a great plant to use and I know a lot of people on the forums would agree :) Good luck...oh and they can be different sizes too...so you can get some height in that enclosure :)

I will be posting a photo soon on my page of the new set-up if you want to take a look :)

EDIT! It's up...the "new enclosure" :p

Back
Top Bottom