Rwenzori chameleon id's

bristoleng

Hi
I was in the Rwenzori mountains and have pictures of chameleons we found there. I would be grateful for some help identifying the species. Most were around 2500m up - pictures 4 and 5 were over 3000m

I think the following species are:
picture 1...Trioceros johnstoni
picture 2...Kinyongia xenorhina
picture 3...Trioceros rudis
picture 4...Trioceros rudis
picture 5..Trioceros rudis

Any other thoughts?

Many thanks for your help!

Attachments

• cham 1.jpg
    cham 1.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 199
  • cham 2.jpg
    cham 2.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 146
  • cham 3.jpg
    cham 3.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 224
  • cham 4.jpg
    cham 4.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 184
  • cham 5.jpg
    cham 5.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 159
Thanks for posting those photos on the forum. After reviewing the photos, I believe you have correctly identified them. The first photo is definitely a male Trioceros johnstoni, based on the horns. The second photo is definitely a male Kinyongia xenorhina, based on the paddle-like rostral protuberance. The remaining three photos are most likely Trioceros rudis, although there is a chance they could be Trioceros schoutedeni, which is a very similar species. I would need photos in much higher resolution to give you a move definitive ID on them, but you are likely correct.

Best,

Chris

Thanks for posting those photos on the forum. After reviewing the photos, I believe you have correctly identified them. The first photo is definitely a male Trioceros johnstoni, based on the horns. The second photo is definitely a male Kinyongia xenorhina, based on the paddle-like rostral protuberance. The remaining three photos are most likely Trioceros rudis, although there is a chance they could be Trioceros schoutedeni, which is a very similar species. I would need photos in much higher resolution to give you a move definitive ID on them, but you are likely correct.

Best,

Chris
I Follow Chris in the identification ,thanks for posting you don't see these very often;)

Back
Top Bottom