Rubbing eyes constantly

PivotThePanther

I just bought a 3-4 month old panther chameleon 4 days ago, and he seemed okay and in good health when I got him. The day after I got him, I noticed he started to rub his eyes a lot and spend most of the day a dark color. He very aggressively rubs both eyes on branches, plants, and grabbing with his feet at his eye. He typically will close one eye at a time as well, sometimes (not as often) both. His eyes are very irritated, the skin looks raw and swollen around the bases, like darker rings. I have tried misting him more frequently, and less frequently for longer periods of time. Either way, he tries to clean his eyes himself but clearly it provides no relief for the little guy. I feel so terrible, not sure what to do watching him be so uncomfortable all the time (I get super itchy eyes during hayfever season, he looks like it could be allergies??). I keep looking up solutions itchy/rubbing of eyes, and I have done all that I can think of without causing too much stress or doing anything that could potentially hurt him more. I went back to the place I got him and asked, and the guy said to do a shower and give him a drop of liquid vitamin (since he wasn't sure he got much vitamins at the shop), so i did, with little relief. I thought maybe the UVB was too strong because it is a new bulb and took it off for a day to then put it back elevated so he's not so close to it. Didn't seem to help either. He shows no signs of flakes or shedding on his eyes, he seems to be just starting to shed with few flakes on his head and back. The amount he has rubbed his eyes the last three days does not seem normal for shedding. The actual eye and pupil seem clear, no pus or discharge, no visible physical damage. He just keeps closing and rubbing so harshly. He ate black soldier fly larvae, a superworm, and a cricket the day after I got him (dusted with calcium), and only has eaten 2 crickets since (in the last 3 days). I've seen him drinking water, and he remains somewhat still active, climbing and moving, often to use a new spot to rub his eyes though. I have no idea what else to do than to take him to a vet, but I JUST got him, and I have talked to two separate, experienced panther chameleon owners who say all my husbandry and equipment is correct, so that whatever he has is probably from the seller. But I still don't know how to help him! please help! ive read i could do a saline wash, but ive also read that can make it worse. My humidity is lowest at 40%, but maintains usually at 50, at nights and mornings it is about 60-70. Ambient room temp is usually 80, basking is 95-100 (a little hot for his size, looking into getting a new bulb). Could it be i didnt scrub the stuff in his cage enough? Is misting him drying out his eyes? I handled him once to bring him outside to get natural sunlight, and then the second time was for the shower, so ive only handled him twice but he did fall off the plant in the shower so that probably stressed him more. It's so stressful to not be able to give him any relief.

Attachments

• IMG_8242.jpeg
    IMG_8242.jpeg
    154.9 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_8248.png
    IMG_8248.png
    695.9 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_8237.jpeg
    IMG_8237.jpeg
    188.8 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_8239.jpeg
    IMG_8239.jpeg
    196 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_8243.jpeg
    IMG_8243.jpeg
    133.2 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_8217.jpeg
    IMG_8217.jpeg
    182.5 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_8198.jpeg
    IMG_8198.jpeg
    114.7 KB · Views: 118
The plants I have are pothos, polka dot plant (hypoestes), Alaonema (red aurora), and a croton. I washed them with dish soap and water, and re potted the top 2" of soil with organic soil and placed rocks over. He has not eaten any plants. The picture is him asleep with the dark rings around his eyes very obvious. Eyes are not sunken.

Attachments

• IMG_8249.jpeg
    IMG_8249.jpeg
    88.6 KB · Views: 100
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Panther, male, 3-4 months, 4 days in care
  • Handling - only 2-3 times to give outdoor time/shower
  • Feeding - Black soldier fly larve, super worms, horn worms (hasnt eaten any even when i offer), crickets. 6 larvae the second day i had him, 1 super worm, 1 cricket. had only 2 crickets yesterday. has not eaten since even with larvae, super worms, and horned worms available in cup. gutloaded with carots, kale, sweet potato, mango.
  • Supplements - flukers calcium without d3, with d3, reptical multivitamin, ate with just calcium when he did eat, tried to with d3 and multivitamin for two days but did not eat.
  • Watering - mist king and dripper. I have seen him drink off leaves. Mist 4 times a day. 9 am for 1 min, 11 am for 7 min, 3pm for 1 min, 6pm for 7 min
  • Fecal Description - brown and white, a little runny but still solid. not been tested.
  • History - bought from LLL reptile

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - 18"x18"x36" screen, plan on upgrading when he's bigger
  • Lighting - reptisun t5 5.0 and 100 watt zoo med basking light, on at 8:30 am and off at 8 pm.
  • Temperature - ambient room temp 80 during day, 75 at night. In cage is 76-(95/100 ish under basking lamp) measured with hydrometer and thermometer.
  • Humidity - lowest - 40% during hot part of day, sits at around 50-55, 60-70 over night and mornings. Spikes with mistings. shower curtains taped to sides, 4 plants
  • Plants - pothos, polka dot plant (hypoestes), Alaonema (red aurora), and a croton
  • Placement - In my bedroom, against a wall that gets very warm. There is a ceiling fan i keep going, the AC vent is across the room (I have a large room). No high traffic, just me and my boyfriend. the cage is roughly 3 ft off the ground, the top is well over my 6' boyfriend's head.
  • Location - San Diego, CA

Back
Top Bottom