right eye closed shut

Highway61

Chameleon Enthusiast
My otherwise healthy 2 yr male Panther has had his right eye closed shut for about two weeks now. He has been to the exotic vet just once, last year and that was because there were buldges in the forward areas of his eye turrets. Not sure what they did beyond eye flush and drops while he was there (they made me wait in the car) but when they returned him his eyes no longer had the buldges and looked like they should. But this only lasted about a month before the buldge was back but only in his right eye. Like before, he appeared healthy to me and it didn't seem to be be a problem other than it looks abnormal.

Fast forward about eight months and when I refreshed his bioactive enclosure and replaced the old fake vines that are made with the sold material (that can't get in his eyes) the buldge disappeared all it's own! But about a month later, that right started to ooze and the close shut. I wanted to take him back to https://www.theexoticvet.com/ since they've already treated my cham but apparently they don't answer phone calls or return voicemails, texts and emails. But I got lucky and found http://birdandexotic.com/ who I called on Friday and got an appointment the next day which was Saturday! (Previous clinic made me wait for two months).

This time I was allowed in and watched the doctor look at the eye which she said looked good when she got it opened. They gave me eye drops and said apply once daily for a week and see if it opens. It's only been a few days now but no change in the appreance to that eye yet. They also recommended I get some Repashy Vitamin A Plus which I ordered immediately from Amaz0n but won't be delivered until later this week (I think this is gut load?)

Anyway, I know there are some exotic vets and other experts here and would like to know if I'm on the right track. Thanks!

1676912489223.png
1676912527578.png

There is more going on than the eye... The cheeks and casque are sunk in. This is a normal indicator of a major health issue going on. Oozing would indicate a possible infection. Which to me would mean some type of oral antibiotics.

Repashy vitamin A plus is not something I would use... It not only is extremely high in vitamin A but I do not think this is supplement related at all. Besides don't you already supplement with vitamin A in your multivitamin 2 times a month?

Eye infection was the diagnosis. The vet said he otherwise looked great. He's also eating and drinking everyday. Here Larry is a few days ago getting his twofer on.

Right but the only thing they gave was eye drops? I am just saying the casque and cheeks are very sunk in. These are signs of illness. I do not know if eye drops will cut it alone. But I am not a vet either.

I took a few head shots today and until now, didn't notice what you pointed out. I've compared what I see with my cham to the photos of panthers in the Contibute pics! thread and indeed the casque and cheeks look sunken in. That right eye still hasn't opened so I will probably be taking him back to the vet after this week and will bring it up.

1677014973790.png
1677014987976.png

Repashy vitamin A plus is not something I would use... It not only is extremely high in vitamin A but I do not think this is supplement related at all. Besides don't you already supplement with vitamin A in your multivitamin 2 times a month?

I have taken my panther cham to two, different exotic vets for eye issues over the past two years and both have recommended Repashy Vitamin A Plus 3. Maybe it's something they always recommend, the vet said she sees a lot of eye issues with geckos. I have never used it before.

I did find vitamin A (80,000/IU lb) in the Repashy Calcium Plus LoD that he gets a few dubias/crickets dusted with once/twice a week. Maybe I'm not giving him enough?

1677016025393.png

I have taken my panther cham to two, different exotic vets for eye issues over the past two years and both have recommended Repashy Vitamin A Plus 3. Maybe it's something they always recommend, the vet said she sees a lot of eye issues with geckos. I have never used it before.

I did find vitamin A (80,000/IU lb) in the Repashy Calcium Plus LoD that he gets a few dubias/crickets dusted with once/twice a week. Maybe I'm not giving him enough?

View attachment 335119
A LOT of exotics vets are not cham-specific experienced. A lot of other lizards do just fine on higher doses of vitamin A, and the first thought most vets have when a lizard has eye issues is that they have a Vit A deficiency. Chams don't need much at all and often their eye issues are due to a Vit A OVERDOSE, not a lack thereof.

I'd say with how sunken your boy's face is, and the vet already saying there was an eye infection, my guess is antibiotics (and a stool sample for parasite testing) would be what you'd want.

View attachment 335119
So I use repashy products. I use the calcium plus LoD version only 2 times a month. This has been found to be plenty of Vitamin A which is why a multivitamin with A and D3 given 2 times a month under a t5HO fixture with the correct UVI has been proven to be a good option. I would be very concerned about over doing vitamin A. Since this is fat soluble it stores in the tissues. It can take a good 2 months to fully clear a vitamin A toxicity.

I am back to my original conclusion. He has an infection. May very well be sinus related and this is affecting the eye. This is not a supplement issue. I know vets can lean into Vitamin A deficiency but not all are well versed in chameleon husbandry to know better. Again I would not use the Vitamin A plus this has such an extreme IU/LB of vitamin A that you can create additional issues for the cham giving it.

Back
Top Bottom