Rieppeleon brevicaudatus vivarium

critterguy

here is the tank. It is a 12 x 12 x 18 zoomed. Current plantlist
Rhadermachera sinica-China doll plant. Behind wood. Won't be concerned if it dies but it does take over it would be good for the chams to climb on-may be better options out there.
Peperomia scandens
Rhapidophora korthalsii
Alsobia dianthiflora
asst. moss species
asst. liverwort species

orchids
Angraecum didieri
Stelis hirtzii
Oecoclades monophylla: Got it as a shrimpy thing with two leaves-then knocked one off. I'm not sure if it is going to make it or not

I think an Impatiens of some sort may be appropriate. Maybe an Aerangis. Any other ideas appreciated.

tank16.jpg

Side view

640x480xIMG_6020.JPG.pagespeed.ic.WvHyIpxnDb.jpg

frontal view. Note hygrolon tube on left.

532x402xpygmy.jpg.pagespeed.ic.a4PPOFMS01.jpg

picture of current sole inhabitant(might add in 1 more in a while, I know folk who've kept 1.2 i similar size enclosure with success but unsure if I myself would want the male in with females 24/7). You can see the Oecoclades at the bottom right with its single leaf.

Hi.
I like it, love the moss growing over it. I seem to have varying degrees of success regards keeping/growing moss. In some of my enclosures it does ok & others, not so well. Been considering a couple of Aerangis myself, but they are not exactly cheap to buy so a little cautious.
Just out of interest, what lighting are you using?

Looks great! I wouldn't recommend anything more than 1.1 or 0.2 on that enclosure though as it's only about 11 gallons and that's not enough for three pygs. You will spoil two of them for sure though;)

Brevs can get pretty territorial. I would not put more then 1.1 in a enclosure that size. Be sure to add more foliage as that is where they will roost at night.

Carl

Agreed, more foliage to cover the branches will give them protection. I can't tell you how much my little one hangs out under the schefflera leaves.

I agree on the more foilage point, and I think how many pygmys you can add is highly dependent on how much foilage you have. Ive also found that males dont seem to battle when there are no females present, and did an experiment keeping them seperate in groups of 3. It worked surprisngly well. In fact, the longest live pygmys ive ever owned were 2 male brevs and 1 male temp in a relatively smaller critter keeper! The set up was nothing but an exo terra "jungle plant" vine and a pile of cocoa fiber in one corner to help hold humidity for longer. I believe the success was behind the very thick fake vines. Even when in sight of eachother they were always relaxed and never bothered

Actually it wasnt until i made them an extravagent terrarium similar to this one, that they all dropped dead. Well the brevs did atleast, but it was within the first two days. The temporalis had the cage to himself for the rest of his life (only a few more months I believe)

I did however see this male temporalis digging a hole in the pile of cocoa fiber...weird. It was a perfect hole that looked like it would be for eggs, but this guy had a huge hemipenal bulge. Later on i found him almost completely upsidedown in the hole, and when he saw me he scurried off and never went back to it. Not sure if this was behavior was from being in with other males but it didnt seem that way

Even if you did it in one experiment, it still isnt a good idea. All chams are different as some are more territorial than others and not judging your sexing skills but one of the brevs may have been female and you didnt know. I think the OP's best option is 1.1 or 0.1.

How about 0.2?

And 1.0 in a seperate enclosure?

I am looking into adding more foliage. I'm hoping the vining plants will take over and provide more corridors around the tank. Right now the cham really likes the tangle of branches in the shadowy area in the center of the tank...but I've seen her everywhere except for the background which doesn't have vines on it yet. I'm going to make some vines with twine/silicone/coir to provide areas to travel all over the tank.

I don't see why not, just don't put over two in that tank and no more than one male per tank. Get some terrestrial foliage to to cover the branches like palms scheffleras and ferns. The little guys love foliage.

Grown in a bit.

Housing 0.1 Rieppeleon brevicaudatus.

Plantlist
-unknown moss
-Stelis hirtzii
-Angraecum didieri
-Dinema polybulbon
-Peperomia prostrate
-Peperomia emarginella
-Rhapidophora hayii/celatocaulis
-Impatiens wallerana(seedlings)
-Mimosa pudica(seedlings)
-Alsobia dianthiflora
-Oecoclades monophylla

very good job :) but for me is better for brookesia than rieppeleon, i'll do it with more plants like scindapsus or ficus .

Andrea

Yes I do believe so. I have found so far that the pygmy much prefers the thin twiggy branches to anything much thicker-even when coated with moss.

I will be redoing the tank to include more useful space for her.

Back
Top Bottom