rescued veiled shedding question

MdngtRain

My young (about 3-4month old) male veiled is taking longer to shed than my past experience (and my gut) is saying would be normal. I'm happy he is in the process of shedding, but am worried that it has taken him about 5 days, and he still has not shed most of the way. I know older chams can take longer to shed, but the younger ones have always shed quickly in my experience. So far, he has only shed part of one side, parts of his legs, and his face. Am I being paranoid, or is this reason for concern?

Now, for his set-up & general info:
I got him about 1 week ago as an adoption from Petco. He was overstock, and they didn't order him, so he was adopted out. He is set up in a 16x16x30 screen cage with tons of vines & fake leaves for hiding in (I know veilds are know to eat their veggitation, but it's a bit hard to find appropriate tropical plants in CT in November). He has a dripper going 3/4 of the day, a ReptiSun 5.0, and a heat bulb. Ambient temps in the cage are the mid 80's, with abasking spot at about 93. The ambient humidity in the reptile area of my house is 50-60% which gets higher when I mist everyyone (1-2x's a day depending on my work shedule). He is drinking and eating fine on gut-loaded & dusted crix. He has gotten Ca+ with 5 feedings, one day of undusted crix, and then one feeding of crix dusted with herpavite (sp?). Oh, and he's on a 12/12 day/night cycle... I think I got everything. Any help (or telling me I'm over-concerned) is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
~Chrissy

Shedding Issue........

Hi there! I don't think there is a problem with the shedding. Veileds will start doing partial area sheds as they mature. It sounds like humidity is not an issue. As long as the new skin looks good I would not worry about it. Could you clarify your calcim supplementation schedule? What exact product are you using five times a week for dusting? Do you have pictures of your babe to share with us? Your cage sounds nice. You can check out Home Depot type stores in your area. They often carry ficus plants year round :)

I use the RepCal Ca+ with D3, and their Herpavite... is 5x/wk too much? A reputable breeder had told me that the 5x/wk was ok for the young ones.
here's Kermit:

and his home:

Back
Top Bottom