"Reptibator"

im sorry but your are incorrect. I have been monitoring the temp for the past week. The thinkgeek fridge, which again is the same thing as lll reptile and reptipro that are selling for alot more, is holding temp within one degree. The only flucuations is the on the digital readout of the fridge is off by two degrees. There is a degree or so difference from top to bottom. This thing holds heat way better then a fish box with a wafer thermostat i mean a hovabator.
Is your house very close to the temperature in the fridge? Do not call someone incorrect, there are many variables you have to look at.

i am not very knowledgeable on cham breeding and incubation, but i know that hova bators are what alot of professional herp breeders use.

im sorry but your are incorrect. I have been monitoring the temp for the past week. The thinkgeek fridge, which again is the same thing as lll reptile and reptipro that are selling for alot more, is holding temp within one degree. The only flucuations is the on the digital readout of the fridge is off by two degrees. There is a degree or so difference from top to bottom. This thing holds heat way better then a fish box with a wafer thermostat i mean a hovabator.

There are many keepers on here that also say the thinkgeek fridge fluctuates by 4 degrees. Use the search feature and find out for yourself. As I stated, LLL reptile posted about their fridge and said there are a few other features that make it worth the extra $. One is less temp fluctuation which, again, I dont mind a 4 degree fluctuation. As SYN stated, your rooms temp is probably close to where you are incubating. If not then I guess you are one out of quite a few on here whos fridge does not fluctuate 4 degrees. Also most of us have the fridge to keep clutches cooler than our room temps since we are incubating montane chameleon eggs. If you are heating with it then it may act different. Personally I wouldnt pay that much to put panther or veiled eggs in that do just fine at regular house temps. I own one of them and witness the fluctuation every day and the others who own this fridge also see this.

No need to be sorry, you do not offend me.

differences in temp?

i think it is resonable to assume that anytime something is mass produced overseas and sold cheaply here in the states, that there is a strong likely hood of varience in preformance, from unit to unit, and that some units are bound to preform better than others, whether mr 148 or rp. so far i have yet to see any evidence that rp preforms better than mr 148 (and i dont think i will). like earlier posters have said , there are other things likely to affect performance as well, like room temp, amount and type of contents (water, media, container size, etc) so unless one person had at least a couple of both units and tested them all under identical circumstances, we may never know. i have heard that both units tend to get warmer at the top than the bottom, which makes sense if there is little air movement inside the unit. i dont know if thats the case, but if it is, it seems like the accuracy of temp control might be improved by mounting a tiny 1-1/4" computer fan inside. just a thought.

Last edited:

im sorry but your are incorrect. The LLL MR is not the same as the thinkgeek. I have seen both, and the LLL version is larger.

My LLL MR 148 gets a temp swing just like the thinkgeek. It swings max 4 degrees, like the thinkgeek version. I have been able to narrow that swing by adding watter bottles to the fridge. I will say though, it doesn't swing from 66-70 when it swings. its more like i set it to 68 and it swings up to 70 and down to 66... but this only happens when the temp in the room swings a lot. say... a cool night and I open the windows up and cool the room to 65 and then in the daytime I don't have the fans on and the temp climbs to 76.

either way, this temp swing doesn't seem to hurt the eggs and is MUCH better than a hovabator (for me) because I don't have a room in my apt that stays cool enough.

perhaps u have seen the old thinkgeek fridge. I just recieved the new one on tuesday. Its the same size as the lll reptile one and reptipro. They are all the mr-148, they are all 25 liters, they are all 13 x15 x19 Im heating for tortoise eggs so maybe im ill informed about the cooling part. But i promise u the one i got from thinkgeek is the same thing as the reptipro and lll reptile. all the same insides also. Its all a marketing ploy and bs. I will post pictures and sizes if u want me to.

perhaps u have seen the old thinkgeek fridge. I just recieved the new one on tuesday. Its the same size as the lll reptile one and reptipro. They are all the mr-148, they are all 25 liters, they are all 13 x15 x19 Im heating for tortoise eggs so maybe im ill informed about the cooling part. But i promise u the one i got from thinkgeek is the same thing as the reptipro and lll reptile. all the same insides also. Its all a marketing ploy and bs. I will post pictures and sizes if u want me to.

Then perhaps they have updated recently. They did run out of stock... so maybe they now carry the model LLL is selling.

Is the thinkgeek fridge still $99? (or whatever it was?) I picked up my LLL fridge... so if the cost of shipping isn't cheap for the Thinkgeek, it works better for me, or anyone near me, to buy the LLL one.

The thinkgeek fridge is still $99 and shipping was $25. There are coupon codes for $10 off shipping. So i paid $115 delivered no sales tax. happy hatching!

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhh. Tomn I'd say that the claim of improved fluctuation control is probably false BUT if you've only had the fridge since Tuesday then I doubt you've really run it through the paces. Perhaps you just got a "good" one!

Back
Top Bottom