Rehabilitating found Chameleon

I see this alot, am curious where it stems from?

Veiled Chameleons are from Tihamah, in Yemen, its the Western Coastal Plains, and is 100% Tropical. They may be found in other areas of Yemen as well, of that I dont know I know little about Veileds, they are not a favored species of mine. I do know they are also found and have became invasive in Tropical Florida, and Tropical Maui. If you have any sources of them living outside of Tropical Conditions I would love to see it.
As always when incorrect, I welcome being educated and corrected. :) Perhaps I need to look at my definition of tropical. Thanks!

Here is a good example of a viv, built for a chameleon F46C538E-E785-4A46-8B24-6A49BEF476BE.jpeg 0788D02C-3DCE-409B-90C1-0CB78A6850D2.jpeg

As always when incorrect, I welcome being educated and corrected. :) Perhaps I need to look at my definition of tropical. Thanks!

You might be right, I am not sure, thats just what my readings have led me to believe, that is why I asked, I wasnt telling you I was asking as well :p.

Come on I cant make heads of tails of that lol :p. Was that to me, or Her? It does touch on the Tropical subsections, but never explains them as tropical or really at all tbh, other than Hot lol, this does however.

"The climate of the Tihamah (western coastal plain) is tropical; temperatures occasionally exceed 54 °C (129.2 °F), and the humidity ranges from 50 to 70 percent. Rainfall, which comes in irregular heavy torrents, averages 130 millimetres (5.12 in) annually. "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geography_of_Yemen

Not alot of Rainfall, for being Tropical though, I guess the humidity and the ocean right there plays a part.

Last edited:
"Veiled chameleons are arboreal lizards, meaning they prefer to live high up in trees or lower near the ground in bushes and shrubs. They can live in dry areas and are found on plateaus of mountainous regions, forests and valleys of southern Saudi Arabia and Yemen. They are one of the few species of chameleons which can tolerate wide temperate ranges, though they prefer to live in a temperature range of 75 to 95 degrees F."...
https://animaldiversity.org/accounts/Chamaeleo_calyptratus/

"Veiled chameleons are arboreal lizards, meaning they prefer to live high up in trees or lower near the ground in bushes and shrubs. They can live in dry areas and are found on plateaus of mountainous regions, forests and valleys of southern Saudi Arabia and Yemen. They are one of the few species of chameleons which can tolerate wide temperate ranges, though they prefer to live in a temperature range of 75 to 95 degrees F."...
https://animaldiversity.org/accounts/Chamaeleo_calyptratus/

Thanks for that, I would still like to wonder why that is so drastic in its difference from what we see however.

Do we have pictures of these dry areas they inhabit? Photos of them in location?

If we check EOL, for actual sightings, we see a different picture painted entirely.

https://eol.org/pages/791826
2020-01-18 20_58_15-Cone-head Chameleon - Encyclopedia of Life.png

We see the greatest number, in Tihamah with 23 sightings. We also see 4 further north, however that is also in a Coastal Tropical Area, and there is 3 more further north, but again we have a Coastal Tropical Area.

In the introduced ranges, they consist of only 2, Florida and Hawaii, as mentioned. Those are not Dry Highland Plains or Mountainous Ranges in the slightest, they are again Sea Level, Coastal Tropical Areas.

We see no introduced problems in the Arids of my state, or the Plains of the Midwest.

This is also a Great read from the Dragon Breeder Podcast, if you have not time to listen to the full thing (or read the full thing)

"What is also interesting is that the geomorphology of Yemen is very specific. If you look at the southern part of Arabian Peninsula, you’ll find out that you have a coastal region, which is actually most a desert, lowland desert, dusty, full of sand, full of dust and very scarce revegetation. Then, it goes a little bit higher to food hills of the actually Hijaz Mountains that run along the Western shore of whole Arabian Peninsula, starting somewhere in Southern Jordan and crossing all the height of Saudi Arabia, reaching Yemen.

Between these high mountains and the coastal plains, there is an area which is called Tihama, which is not so high, but quite hot and tropical and there it starts to be interesting in our aspect because of chameleons because the tops of the hills are very dry, but in the deep valleys, which are called wadis in Arabia, there is always water. It is sometimes underneath the earth, hidden in the dry riverbeds that run through these wadis, but at least two to three months per year, they actually wear water, in a form of creeks or even quite big rivers.

This is what it makes special because in these small enclaves, which are very tiny network of these valleys, you find a climatic zone and a vegetation zone, which is equal to tropical, wet, moist climate of Africa. However, just two or three meters next to these areas, you have a completely dry desert environment that it cannot be inhabited by most of the animals that are actually confined to these zones"

https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/podcast/ep-90-veiled-chameleon-husbandry-natural-environment-cage/

That may as well clear up the differences in the Wikis and why they are confusing, and why the article you have linked, is semi correct and just leading to further confusion. That was the impression I was under as well, that the Veileds may inhabit a desert region, but in what I would call, the Oasis's of said region.

You said...."We see no introduced problems in the Arids of my state, or the Plains of the Midwest"...what is your state?

Last edited:
You said...."We see no introduced problems in the Arids of my state, or the Plains of the Midwest"...what is your state?

Arizona.

That was a good video, however. He did not show us the entirety of the area, and as he moved, we seen more trees. He also if you noticed, stated in the Description that is an Acacia.

And well, "Acacias are native to tropical and subtropical regions of the world, particularly Australia (where they are called wattles) and Africa"
https://www.britannica.com/plant/acacia

Returning back to the DBP episode and we see.

"Between these high mountains and the coastal plains, there is an area which is called Tihama, which is not so high, but quite hot and tropical and there it starts to be interesting in our aspect because of chameleons because the tops of the hills are very dry, but in the deep valleys, which are called wadis in Arabia, there is always water. It is sometimes underneath the earth, hidden in the dry riverbeds that run through these wadis, but at least two to three months per year, they actually wear water, in a form of creeks or even quite big rivers.

This is what it makes special because in these small enclaves, which are very tiny network of these valleys, you find a climatic zone and a vegetation zone, which is equal to tropical, wet, moist climate of Africa. However, just two or three meters next to these areas, you have a completely dry desert environment that it cannot be inhabited by most of the animals that are actually confined to these zones"

Just as in our cages, the humidity surrounding those plants, is drastically higher than that of the desert areas you see around it is it not?

How could a tropical plant survive where there is no water or humidity? There must be more to this that we are not seeing?

I do agree that seeing pics in what appears arid desert is strange, the tropical plant growing there is crazy too. I have never experienced these micro climates first hand at least to that extent. So it's strange to me, I am just trying to rationalize the diffence in Info and why it's present.

Last edited:
Yes that would be good, and yes sorry OP.

And it was my fault Kinyonga, I should have made a thread about it instead of keeping it going here. It was my question, so the blame is on me.

How sad, I hope she makes a recovery, It's really commendable that you are taking her on knowing that this could be rough journey. Acts like this restore my faith in people good luck hope you get a positive outcome for her.

Back
Top Bottom