Red runners are underrated!

I was flipping stone over at my house following an ant colony and I found red runners ? I’m sorry @jamest0o0 those are to roachy for me as well. I bought some from rainbow to try and I ended up just freezing them cuz I was scared

Lol no worries, it's understandable. I just keep them in a cup and hold it up to my cham. I wouldn't want them free roaming in an enclosure.

Strange that they need water to reproduce, yet are found in deserts lol. I believe you though. I'm familiar with florida living and there are roaches everywhere, rich or poor.

I think that's why they need water to breed.

They are smart, they won't lay eggs if there is not water nearby, as having babies during the dry season would stretch limited water rations that are already low, to abysmal.

Its their way of determining season most likely. As desert climates, or at least Pheonix pretty much has Dry and Wet season like Madagascar. Monsoons flood the desert, but the rest of the year its so dry your spit dries before you get it to the ground lol.

It actually makes perfect since they require water to breed, if you think about it like that. :). Other than the desert Belt in the US they are native to Iraq, Iran, Arabia, etc. They are only native and wild in desert climates. Despite people thinking they will infest in Florida, but they don't and are not wild there. They may jnfest your Florida home, but thwy are not invasive in florida, but are badly in pheonix.

We can see that via their EOL page.

All Cali, AZ and Texas, mostly AZ.

Screenshot_20200407-140326_Chrome.jpg

Inat shows some in other areas of the US, but still drier areas and not 1 roach sighting in Florida, despite what the common thoughts are on roach forums.

Last edited:
I recently switched from dubia to red runners and giant green banana's, just be careful and you wont have a problem. Take your bin outside and collect how many you want to feed your cham and then go back inside. Red runners cant climb the shooting gallery as well. I suggest using a gasket bin to house roaches that are good at escaping

Lol no worries, it's understandable. I just keep them in a cup and hold it up to my cham. I wouldn't want them free roaming in an enclosure.
Funny you say that I free range dubias in my cages ? gives the chameleons something to hunt when I forget it’s feeding day

Yea I had a large adult dubia escape Donnies cage (AND his feeder run!).... didnt see it a few days and hoped he ate it.

Of course it shows up in the middle of the kitchen when guests were over. :oops:

Lmao! They have perfect timing. Similar happened to me in our living room at the old house. Family was over and out of nowhere and adult Male dubia just walks out in the middle of everyone.

I wanted to, I just can't.

I grew up in Phoenix Arizona, where Red Runners are an introduced but now Native species. I have lived in homes infested with them. Seen friends homes where when you flip the lights on, the walls scurry. I just can't lol, the dubias and hissers, don't remind me of roaches but the runners, cause PTSD.

They are a serious problem in Phoenix, especially in Apartment complexes.
Yuup, here in Tucson same. I've seen apartments crawling with them.

Bark scorps are so cuuuute

AZ was a bug lovers paradise for me.
I been stung by a few... No pain, just numbness for a day or 2.
they're really common in the nursery I work at.
Lifting up just 1 bucket, you find garden millipedes, isopods, centipedes, brown recluse, black widows, scorpions, rattlesnakes.....

I saw a kingsnake eating a rattlesnake.
Theres a gila monster that has his burrow close to the farm because we see him every summer.

And that’s the story of how Alexa ended up with a Hermès ?
I been stung by a few... No pain, just numbness for a day or 2.
they're really common in the nursery I work at.
Lifting up just 1 bucket, you find garden millipedes, isopods, centipedes, brown recluse, black widows, scorpions, rattlesnakes.....

I saw a kingsnake eating a rattlesnake.
Theres a gila monster that has his burrow close to the farm because we see him every summer.
I work at a tree nursery as well here in Queen Creek, I see most of the same things minus the Gila monster lol big NO for me on the runners also ?

I work at a tree nursery as well here in Queen Creek, I see most of the same things minus the Gila monster lol big NO for me on the runners also ?
I work At Civano Growers... We trade a lot...
Civano likes getting tress from there.

Back
Top Bottom