red-eyed crocodile skink eye problem

Vincetthecham

Hi I'm making this post for my sister cuz she doesnt speak english well,
I know this is a cham forum but we didn't get any help anywhere else,
she has 2 crocodile skinks she has them for like 6 months and they are about one year old, one male on female, they have a good sized tank 29.5276 inches by 17.7165, good substrate, plants, a shallow pool with rocks, humidity is around 90% + and in the day the temp is about 24° celsius that is about 75.2 degrees fahrenheit , they were always hiding each in their own hide, they eat crickets sometimes, mostly worms, wax worms and sometimes earthworms (from a shop not from outside) with vitamins. The enclosure is in a room in a quiet place. They seemed to be doing good, but lately the male has been acting weird, has been laying outside, not moving much, she said his eyes are usually closed all the time, she said he has a white spot on one of his eyes, he doesnt open that one at all and he opens the other one a little bit but she has seen him open it all the way too and he used to hide from her when she opens the cage but now he doesnt. She noticed it like 5 days ago, she said that the only thing that has chaged is the bulb. They had a 25W or 50W bulb for lizards but it broke so she was using a normal household one for like 1 or 2 days that someone told her she can use she said the ligt isnt really different or stronger but we read somewhere the bulb could be a problem so she is getting the one she used to have tomorrow. Also the female is completely fine. She is taking him to a vet in two days but there is really no vet here experienced with crocodile skinks. Do you know what happned to him? what could be worng? could he have gone blind from the bulb? What should she do?
here are some pics of him ill be thankful for any help!

Attachments

• 270216862_632458864471779_8019286239268251890_n.jpg
    270216862_632458864471779_8019286239268251890_n.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 169
  • 270359591_1421724471578401_6998264106490259454_n.jpg
    270359591_1421724471578401_6998264106490259454_n.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 194
  • 270853060_954808012126191_7714742975399202408_n.jpg
    270853060_954808012126191_7714742975399202408_n.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 194
I don’t know much about them but they are prone to have eye problems form what I know The main problems can be the humidity and harsh lighting.

If facebook continues to be an issue this might help a little-

https://www.breedir.org/red-eyed-croc-skink-care

There is a breeder page that can help too--

Great there is already a vet visit scheduled. Most important due to the signs the little fella is having.

JMHO-- I did have these many years go (wild caught and full of parasites) and food was the biggest problem. These skinks need more calcium than normal skinks. Which in the wild is from the variety of foods (insects/worms ect...) from back in the day info: worms were described as all kinds of grubs and not always the earth worms/red wiggler type, we have for foods (depending on what they are gut loaded with is very important too). Wax worms might look yummy and fat but would not give much vits unless raised and given food with a good gut-load.

All that being said, more info on the history is needed. If WC they could be adults already and if CB there would be history (where were they purchased from etc....) These guys are a pretty penny (expensive) in my opinion but very unique.

The tests the vet will perform should show what is missing or causing the problem.
Good Luck and hope you give a happy update.

If facebook continues to be an issue this might help a little-

https://www.breedir.org/red-eyed-croc-skink-care

There is a breeder page that can help too--

Great there is already a vet visit scheduled. Most important due to the signs the little fella is having.

JMHO-- I did have these many years go (wild caught and full of parasites) and food was the biggest problem. These skinks need more calcium than normal skinks. Which in the wild is from the variety of foods (insects/worms ect...) from back in the day info: worms were described as all kinds of grubs and not always the earth worms/red wiggler type, we have for foods (depending on what they are gut loaded with is very important too). Wax worms might look yummy and fat but would not give much vits unless raised and given food with a good gut-load.

All that being said, more info on the history is needed. If WC they could be adults already and if CB there would be history (where were they purchased from etc....) These guys are a pretty penny (expensive) in my opinion but very unique.

The tests the vet will perform should show what is missing or causing the problem.
Good Luck and hope you give a happy update.
Thanks! I will definetly try this forum for help! They are getting calcium I'll ask her how much and maybe tell her to amp it up. All their food is gut loaded (with what i would have to ask her but probably vegetables and greens and stuff), they get wax worms only couple of times a month, they usually get a good variety of worms on other days. They were pretty expensive and they are WC but the seller said he already had them home for a couple of months to a year. He also said that if the female isnt sick too she might have bought the male already sick. I will definetly update you about what the vet said and thank you again!

I don’t know much about them but they are prone to have eye problems form what I know The main problems can be the humidity and harsh lighting.
Hi! yeah there is really not that much info on these definetly not as much as on other more popular lizards :/ I also read that but the humidity in the tank is perfect and the lighting shouldn't be too harsh, the female is under the same light and she is completely fine which is kinda weird.

I know almost nothing about these beautiful animals, but have they been getting any vitamin D3 and calcium?
This comment is very critical since they will only know by test via the vet what is missing.
Great question MissSkittles--

They will be different than Chameleons since they are ground dwellers.

JMHO-- Exotic species with little info is always difficult but there are people out there to help.

Just being into critters in general- On ocasion I have seen them come in a WC (wild caught adults) but not sure of yours. This is why history is always important. Good Job everyone-- (y)

Just remember: even if humidity is high and water is available, they can still be dehydrated and once again- vet test should explain these.

Just making sure at the vet you ask for these test (I only added that because they don't test for everything all the time) but if you ask about calcium, hydration etc.... (get the results in paper to compare later). (y)

This comment is very critical since they will only know by test via the vet what is missing.
Great question MissSkittles--

They will be different than Chameleons since they are ground dwellers.

JMHO-- Exotic species with little info is always difficult but there are people out there to help.

Just being into critters in general- On ocasion I have seen them come in a WC (wild caught adults) but not sure of yours. This is why history is always important. Good Job everyone-- (y)

Just remember: even if humidity is high and water is available, they can still be dehydrated and once again- vet test should explain these.

Just making sure at the vet you ask for these test (I only added that because they don't test for everything all the time) but if you ask about calcium, hydration etc.... (get the results in paper to compare later). (y)
Ok thanks for the tip I will defiently ask for all these test and in paper! :) Im thankful for all the help! I replied to one of your comments and yes they are WC but the seller had them for a few months before selling them, they are almost impossible to get here CB

Ok thanks for the tip I will defiently ask for all these test and in paper! :) Im thankful for all the help! I replied to one of your comments and yes they are WC but the seller had them for a few months before selling them, they are almost impossible to get here CB
Most definitely have a fecal test for parasites then, even if it was done previously.

I'm not a vet and I have no experience with crocodile skinks eye issues...but I'm wondering if it's a corneal ulcer. Just a wild guess.

You might find this interesting...
https://reptilesmagazine.com/red-eyed-crocodile-skink-care-and-information/

And this...

she has 2 crocodile skinks she has them for like 6 months and they are about one year old, one male on female, they have a good sized tank 29.5276 inches by 17.7165, good substrate, plants, a shallow pool with rocks, humidity is around 90% + and in the day the temp is about 24° celsius that is about 75.2 degrees fahrenheit , they were always hiding each in their own hide, they eat crickets sometimes, mostly worms, wax worms and sometimes earthworms (from a shop not from outside) with vitamins. The enclosure is in a room in a quiet place. They seemed to be doing good, but lately the male has been acting weird, has been laying outside, not moving much, she said his eyes are usually closed all the time, she said he has a white spot on one of his eyes, he doesnt open that one at all and he opens the other one a little bit but she has seen him open it all the way too and he used to hide from her when she opens the cage but now he doesnt. She noticed it like 5 days ago, she said that the only thing that has chaged is the bulb. They had a 25W or 50W bulb for lizards but it broke so she was using a normal household one for like 1 or 2 days that someone told her she can use she said the ligt isnt really different or stronger but we read somewhere the bulb could be a problem so she is getting the one she used to have tomorrow. Also the female is completely fine. She is taking him to a vet in two days but there is really no vet here experienced with crocodile skinks. Do you know what happned to him? what could be worng? could he have gone blind from the bulb? What should she do?
I did not see a reply of what the vet said. But I would say try making sure there are no sharp ends in the tank he could bumps his face on. He could have been running ( mine is one fast lil thing. Looks like a blur going by ) then cut the eye or scratched it.
For heat you can try adding a small under the tank heater to one of the sides near a hiding to keep it closer to 80 degrees plus it will help with keeping the humidity up by evaporation. The rest of the enclosure can be in the 72-75 degree range.
Hope the little guy is feeling better now. Mine peeks out to say hi and bask every now and then but mostly they all run and hide from the scary face that stares at them except my female if she's in her pool sunbathing.

( pics of two of mine )

Attachments

• 7CB4ECF8-7A10-4466-9782-896C097CCF27.jpeg
    7CB4ECF8-7A10-4466-9782-896C097CCF27.jpeg
    159.9 KB · Views: 107
  • C43AC5D8-EC9F-4C64-AEE8-3BD8DA604CD5.jpeg
    C43AC5D8-EC9F-4C64-AEE8-3BD8DA604CD5.jpeg
    304.7 KB · Views: 100
Did your sister find out what was wrong with her crocodile skink? What happened to him? My skink's eyes look like the pictures you posted. Any info would be greatly appreciated

Back
Top Bottom