Receptive/Gravid Timeline Question

lokiopolis

Established Member
Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if I could get some advice or information regarding the general timeline for a female veiled chameleon to go from receptive to gravid to laying eggs.

My girl is estimated to be a year old, but has only been in my care for about a month and a half. Over the last week, particularly over this last weekend (30-1st) she has started showing some pretty colors (the light teal blue/ yellow) which I believe to be receptive. Today the yellow turned to a really pronounced gold, and she has been getting more active going around the top of the enclosure. I have a lay bin set up with moist play sand I got from home depot, but she's shown absolutely no interest in it up to this point (probably still a little too early?).

I was just wondering what to expect timeline-wise, and when I should start getting concerned and book a vet visit, I've been reading a lot of posts on the forum and I am absolutely terrified about the possibility of becoming egg bound.

Thanks. Attached are some recent pictures

Both the above photos were taken about an hour ago, about 5 mins apart, differences in lighting (9/3/19)

both these photos were taken over the weekend (9/7/19) withing 5 mins of each-other, basically the difference is just lighting

I’ve only experienced all of this once so far, but I can tell you what my girl did. For a bit over a week she had more pronounced colors, especially her little dots. She was very restless, climbing up and down the enclosure and at times looked like she wanted to escape. Three to four weeks later I noticed she’d been digging in a plant and not as hungry as usual. It took a day or two before she went into her lay bin. I quickly covered the visible sides of her enclosure with a sheet and left her to it. I had several peek holes so I could keep an eye on her. Thankfully I have an automatic mister. It took her about one and a half days before she was finished and sitting in her usual spot. I too was freaked about the possibility of her becoming eggbound as she had very poor husbandry before I got her about two months before. She did great though, thankfully. Hope this helps.

I’ve only experienced all of this once so far, but I can tell you what my girl did. For a bit over a week she had more pronounced colors, especially her little dots. She was very restless, climbing up and down the enclosure and at times looked like she wanted to escape. Three to four weeks later I noticed she’d been digging in a plant and not as hungry as usual. It took a day or two before she went into her lay bin. I quickly covered the visible sides of her enclosure with a sheet and left her to it. I had several peek holes so I could keep an eye on her. Thankfully I have an automatic mister. It took her about one and a half days before she was finished and sitting in her usual spot. I too was freaked about the possibility of her becoming eggbound as she had very poor husbandry before I got her about two months before. She did great though, thankfully. Hope this helps.

Thanks for sharing your experience. It's helpful.

Im assuming my girl is probably in the first portion where the colors are pronounced and she's restless trying to make a break for it and escape every time I open the enclosure. I'll keep a close eye out.

If anyone else has any expirences I'd appreciate hearing about it to better judge at what point I should start to freak out about egg-binding as this is my first time going through it.

MissSkittles gave a good description of it. They can vary in th,e it into somewhat though. Just like people they are all slightly different.

Back
Top Bottom