raw lip...

GoFast

I am considering picking up this pair of chameleons that I found on craigslist. It is a boy and girl that are about 2 years old. I am slightly concerned about one of them though, the boy. The current owner says that they tried putting him in a smaller cage when they thought the female was going to lay eggs and that he was rubbing his face on the screen and it got really raw. Is that what this looks like to you all? If so, is there anything special I would have to keep in mind as far as care with him?

Attachments

• chamlip.jpg
    chamlip.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 98
You will need to take him to a vet to get checked out and for a fecal. You will probably have to apply a small bit of ointment on it to keep it from getting infected. Honestly, I would not purchase this chameleon, but I would take it off the owners hands for him. They should not have been kept in the same enclosure unless the enclosure was room sized in the first place. If they have been kept together their whole lives the female is probably going to die soon anyways from being over bred.

They were not kept in the same enclosure. They have their own enclosures but they switched the two when they thought she was going to lay eggs in order to put in a lay box.

I would ask them if they would be willing to just give you the male and buy the female, since you will need to take the male to a vet anyways.

IMO take both, then doctor the male's lips with some antiseptic. Definetely keep them in seprate cages where they can't see each other. The only time you want them to associate is when it's mating time. It causes undo stress that makes them weak and susptible to illness. Make sure you watch both for normal eating and pooping. Orange urates mean dehydration, which is one of the most common causes of problems. Also if you notice a chams mouth not closing right, or there is a slight offset, there is a problem.

Back
Top Bottom