Rango - The Veiled Chameleon

DHerms1991

So I have had my Veiled Chameleon for about a year now and everywhere I read says they hate human interaction and they hate being held. However Rango did not get that memo. He always wants to come out and will constantly climb on me anytime I open the cage. I assume this not normal but wanted to get other peoples opinoins on the matter.

AFEEE378-8686-45A2-870D-6B01EB63E7B4.jpeg

So I have had my Veiled Chameleon for about a year now and everywhere I read says they hate human interaction and they hate being held. However Rango did not get that memo. He always wants to come out and will constantly climb on me anytime I open the cage. I assume this not normal but wanted to get other peoples opinoins on the matter.

View attachment 336640
Do not let Rango be friends with Carmelo. Carmelo will demonstrate and maybe tell him how to be a grumpy Cham. Carmelo is living his best grumpiest life. 😉

View attachment 336640
Hey there. So no it is not normal veiled behavior. Some young veileds are more tolerant this can change as they mature. But the first thing we always look at is the enclosure and lighting to ensure there is not a reason for the "friendly" behavior. If you want to post pics of your enclosure including the lights on top I can take a look for you.

Hey there. So no it is not normal veiled behavior. Some young veileds are more tolerant this can change as they mature. But the first thing we always look at is the enclosure and lighting to ensure there is not a reason for the "friendly" behavior. If you want to post pics of your enclosure including the lights on top I can take a look for you.
5D1E9485-7564-4963-B148-FEB9275DCB9D.jpeg

Here is a photo of my enclosure

41747F87-9479-4AEA-8F05-D61CF386705E.jpeg

Unfortunately, I think he may be wanting to leave the cage because of the lightning situation, but I’m going to let other more experienced keepers chime in here.

What about the lighting situation?
Unfortunately, compact UVB bulbs are not recommended due to their lack of coverage. I’d advise to look into a T5 HO uvb. Idk if that’s the issue here, but that’s the one thing I noticed from the photo provided. Otherwise, the enclosure looks well put together.

Forgot to say…welcome to the forum!

Not only would I recommend that you change the UVB light for a long linear Reptisun 5.0 or an Arcadia 6% but I would recommend you remove the artificial plants/vines from the cage to prevent the chameleon from ingesting them and becoming impacted. I would also add more non toxic plants for cover.

If you’d like us to check your husbandry, then please answer the questions in this thread as specifically and fully as possible…
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-help.66/

So I just joined the forum too! This was the same light my little guy had when I adopted him from his previous owner. Unfortunately, he has MBD because he wasn’t getting the correct supplements and lighting. Your guy looks to be much healthier than mine was though!! Again, I’m new here so the more experienced people can give you more info, but I just wanted to share my experience. Rango is super cute by the way!!!!

@Gloriawood …did you get the MBD corrected?
We are working on it. I have been giving him calcium and I changed his lighting both as soon as I got him. There isn’t a reptile vet near me, so I haven’t been able to get him seen. He has a bend in his casque and his legs are a bit shaky, but he seems to be getting less shaky slowly. I have only had him a little over a month.

So I just joined the forum too! This was the same light my little guy had when I adopted him from his previous owner. Unfortunately, he has MBD because he wasn’t getting the correct supplements and lighting. Your guy looks to be much healthier than mine was though!! Again, I’m new here so the more experienced people can give you more info, but I just wanted to share my experience. Rango is super cute by the way!!!!
Thanks so much! Do you have a link for a recommended UVB light?

Attachments

• D873B9A2-77F8-4E4B-9426-56F4DAFD4644.png
    D873B9A2-77F8-4E4B-9426-56F4DAFD4644.png
    168.3 KB · Views: 29
Forgot to say…welcome to the forum!

Not only would I recommend that you change the UVB light for a long linear Reptisun 5.0 or an Arcadia 6% but I would recommend you remove the artificial plants/vines from the cage to prevent the chameleon from ingesting them and becoming impacted. I would also add more non toxic plants for cover.

If you’d like us to check your husbandry, then please answer the questions in this thread as specifically and fully as possible…
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-help.66/
Could you provide me a link to the recommended light?

Hi there as mentioned you have a lighting issue for the UVB. We do not recommend the compact bulbs because they do not penetrate far enough into the cage to give them the UVB they need to prevent MBD.
We recommend the linear fixtures that are T5HO with a 5.0 strength bulb for it. Lighting should be fixed asap. Let me know the fixtures you find and I will tell you if it is right.

The coconut, hammock, and bridge needs to be removed.

The substrate in the bottom is an impaction risk with a Veiled as well.

I am going to recommend doing the husbandry form if you like but I want you to read through everything in this husbandry program. You will learn a lot from it. Then ask any questions here https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

We are working on it. I have been giving him calcium and I changed his lighting both as soon as I got him. There isn’t a reptile vet near me, so I haven’t been able to get him seen. He has a bend in his casque and his legs are a bit shaky, but he seems to be getting less shaky slowly. I have only had him a little over a month.
I think we should make a separate thread for this conversation so we don’t take over/derail @DHerms1991 thread and cause confusion.

There’s more you should be doing to correct the MBD if your chameleon really has it…we could discuss it in the thread you start.

Back
Top Bottom