Question on Process of Feeding Mealworms to Cham

MetalFox

I bought some Mealworms the yesterday to feed to Ol' Francis and I was just wondering what is the proper process of feeding these to him, I am not sure if he is used to eating out of a bowl seeing that he has always ate free roaming food. Crickets mainly but a few questions

Francis is a Veiled Chameleon 6 months old Male, Normal, Misting feeding, and drip system for watering. oh yea and pooing regularly

Why must i Refrigerate the worms?

How many should I feed him the are really small?

Should I dust them?

How Do I take care of the worms?

Slows the worms' metabolism and allows for longer storage of them. Some worms can't be refrigerated, like supers.

Use mealworms only as a treat. They have a hard shell and shouldn't be used as a staple. Silkworms are much better.

Should I dust them?

If you want...just make sure you are following a proper supplement routine for your animal.

You can gutload with greens, but personally I just leave mine in the fridge in their sand and worry about gutloading staple feeders.

How?
I put them on a wide branch or in a cup.

You do not have to refrigerate the worms. Better NOT to, if your going to use them up quickly, as you'll want to gutload them. They're not very nutritious.

One or two a week max, as the chinon /skin is not easy to digest, plus these are not a very nutritious feeder. If possible, feed off freshly shed ones (white in colour), to mitigate the digestibility issue.

Should I dust them?

Yes, with calcium.

Store in a container with bran or oats as the substrate. Room temp. Put a small piece of carrot, apple or other on top of the substrate - this will provide the water. Remove old fruit/veg before it molds.

One or two a week max, as the chinon /skin is not easy to digest, plus these are not a very nutritious feeder. If possible, feed off freshly shed ones (white in colour), to mitigate the digestibility issue.

Amy loves the white newly moulted ones - but she loves newly moulted supers even more! Chams seem to prefer the softer white ones. I keep mealworms mainly for my sugar glider and Amy gets them as a treat. I gutload them with wild rocket and apple. Can't get them to eat much else.

Back
Top Bottom