Question about Free Ranging

chamimom

Hi, I'm not sure if this is the place to ask or not, but when people free range their chameleons, how do their chamis get enough UVB and heat? Genesis keeps wanting to come out and climb all over her ficus tree, but she wants to be there all day, and I have no UVB bulb for her there.

Hi, I'm not sure if this is the place to ask or not, but when people free range their chameleons, how do their chamis get enough UVB and heat? Genesis keeps wanting to come out and climb all over her ficus tree, but she wants to be there all day, and I have no UVB bulb for her there.
I free range Leo, so he has 3/4 of a viv (16x16x30) with light and heat, and although he spends a lot of time on an umbrella tree, he regularly goes back to bask. If you can, I’d hang a UVB fixture from the ceiling, if you want to go that far. Otherwise, keep trips out fairly short.

I free range Leo, so he has 3/4 of a viv (16x16x30) with light and heat, and although he spends a lot of time on an umbrella tree, he regularly goes back to bask. If you can, I’d hang a UVB fixture from the ceiling, if you want to go that far. Otherwise, keep trips out fairly short.

Thanks so much! I know free range is normally for more experienced people, but she has been SO much more happy since I have been letting her out for longer periods of time, and she is very difficult to get to go back into her enclosure. I have all the plant coverage she would want and lots of good branches for her to climb on. I think I will see how she does when the larger enclosure gets here (it is supposed to arrive today), and if she still seems to want to be out more, then I will work on designing a set-up for free range in the room she could have to herself away from the rest of the house. I will just have to make sure to really do my research, I think and come to you guys with questions. And yes, I think I could manage to hang a UVB from the ceiling for sure! I was looking to see if they have UVB bulbs for regular light fixtures, because I have two light fixtures in the smaller room, but I did not see any. Even if they had any, I doubt they would be strong enough anyways. How do you feed? She rarely eats from my hand and prefers to hunt. I'm not sure that would work for us if she ends up free ranging, because the insects would get all over the house, lol.

She if not free ranging. her cham likes to be out of its enclosure and stay out she is worried/asking about heat and uvb while her cham is out for a long period

She if not free ranging. her cham likes to be out of its enclosure and stay out she is worried/asking about heat and uvb while her cham is out for a long period

Thanks, @Flick boy . I may end up free ranging with how happy she is out of her enclosure, though, if I can get the room set up properly for it. It's an option, so I would like to hear about how those who free range do it as well...and I think they are right about hanging a UVB from the ceiling for her. She could be out longer periods if I have that and a heat lamp placed near it.

Here's mine. I fog for hydration+ 1.5 hr shower 1x a week. I feed from a cup or I place feeders on branches one at a time for him to eat. I do this in the winter and he lives outside in the summer.

Attachments

• 20201024_154602.jpg
    20201024_154602.jpg
    321 KB · Views: 90
@jamest0o0, LOVE the set-up! That's so cool! And thanks for the tip on hydration. I forgot that that fog could be used (I saw it on a YouTube video when I was looking different things up). Not sure how Genesis would do with being put in a shower. I'm still working on earning her trust. I try to feed in a cup, but the crickets always get out, and though she will eat greens here and there from a cup, she does not like trying to eat her insects from a cup. I want to get her to eat from my fingers, but I'm not sure how to do that since the cricket doesn't really move too much to draw her attention when I'm holding it.

Oh, okay. Thank you. Did it take your chami long to snap them out of there? Mine did not seem thrilled about snapping them out of a cup, but...on top of issues mentioned already, I like to be able to keep on eye on her eating, and that is difficult to do when they are just loose and she hunts them around her enclosure.

No I usually swish whatever about in a cup and my girl gets them I only use that depth for crickets and cup feed so I can keep records so I know exactly what she has eaten for egg laying purposes. As I'm in the uk and can get locusts they are the only feeder (diurnal) that I let lose for hunting

It took me a long time to train my guy to cup feed. He actually took to hand feeding before cup feeding. Now he's completely used to the cup, but still has excellent striking/hunting when I put feeders on branches. I use a large variety of roaches as my main feeders, i like them better than crickets for free range feeding. Easy to hold them or keep contained.

I'd consider making a feeder bin, that's what I have outside. Like a shoe box sized container, could even add twigs and stuff to make it look more natural.

@JacksJill don't you always recommend that shooting gallery thing? That might work well for a free range, though I havent tried it myself.

It would work for a free range but you would need to mount it to a screened back. It is made to mount to the screen side of the cage.

Back
Top Bottom