pygmy enclosure idea

Dinky

hey ive been looking into getting some pygmies and just been looking around at forum members set ups and other and ran into this http://www.junglebox.net/product/300.html i have never seen pygmies in a vertical enclosure or could find anything on the forum about it what are ur guys thoughts of the vertical 10?

Pygmies are forest floor creatures (at least the most commonly-kept ones like brevs), but they do utilize vertical space. I don't think the shape and dimensions are bad; what I'd worry about would be airflow. They like high humidity, so people use the glass instead of the screen cages for other chams, but a lot of the terrariums being used (e.g. EcoTerra) have screen tops.
The price certainly isn't bad (as vs. EcoTerra's $200+); might be worth experimenting with seeing if you could rig some screen on the door?

yea i was just going to steal the idea and make a screen retracting door with a hinge like those hide away ones u see on homes but idk i just not sure if they would climb that high thats my biggest curiosity. so i think someone should mail me some little dudes and ill get right on it lol :D

One other thing I might be a bit apprehensive about is the light; normally pygs are given a Reptisun 5.0 or 2.0 overhead, and the glass top would both block the helpful UV-B, and potentially increase the transmitted heat, baking the lizards. Someone handier than I could probably start with one of the silicon-jointed 10 gallons, carefully remove the panel that would be the top, and replace it with screen; then you might be able to use the doors as they supply them.

yea i was just going to steal the idea and make a screen retracting door with a hinge like those hide away ones u see on homes but idk i just not sure if they would climb that high thats my biggest curiosity. so i think someone should mail me some little dudes and ill get right on it lol :D

I just want to know it the thing can really keep fruit flys in. I think I have tried everything ever suggested and still the little monsters are everywhere. I hate themmmmmmmm.

I just want to know it the thing can really keep fruit flys in. I think I have tried everything ever suggested and still the little monsters are everywhere. I hate themmmmmmmm.

I have mine in a 10 gallon with one of those zoo med tops. The fruit flies never got out, and they were in there a long time, since my chams never ate them. Now they get pinheads and one week old crickets, and all is good.

yea i want to see the fruit flys try to escape this mesh but yea im thinking about ideas of an airexchanger to keep humidity in and keep fresh air and airflow thought the cage but well see how my plans turn out on paper first. i like the idea of taking the top off and replacing it with mesh lots to think about lol

I went to the Anaheim show and a dart frog seller told me that Lowes carries a finer screen in their garden section that keeps ff in! He just replaces the screen that comes with the tanks. I haven't had the chance to look, but ff drive me nuts too.

Back
Top Bottom