Puffing under chin and body.. about to shed

If you can, can you try to get a picture when he is asleep? I’d like to see his throat while not agitated. I’m curious if there is any gular edema.
Here’s a picture of his throat

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 79
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 84
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 76
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 73
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 75
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 74
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 73
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 81
He opens his mouth and it’s almost like he’s licking his lips after he’s eaten a cricket. But he didn’t eat anything. I think he’s swallowing.

I have seen this before. Nothing to worry about. I think what happens is when they inflate the gular pouch it presses on the tongue and hyoid bone and can kinda push the tongue a bit out of place so once they deflate the gular pouch they have to kinda reset their tongue into the right position on the hyoid bone.

Last edited:
I have seen this before. Nothing to worry about. I think what happens is when they inflate the gular pouch it presses on the tongue and hyoid bone and can kinda push the tongue a bit out of place so once they deflate the gular pouch they have to kinda reset their tongue into the right position on the hyoid bone.
Okay. Well I’m gonna keep a close eye on him these next few days. I have called my vet just Incase I have to bring him in the next couple days. Ughh I hope he’s just being dramatic and ready to shed lol

Pictures were fine. No edema that I see.

For what it’s worth, I don’t think a basking spot of 87.8 is too high at all. Panthers are invasive in some parts of Florida and we often have a heat index above 100, with actual temps in the high 90s and they thrive here.

Pictures were fine. No edema that I see.

For what it’s worth, I don’t think a basking spot of 87.8 is too high at all. Panthers are invasive in some parts of Florida and we often have a heat index above 100, with actual temps in the high 90s and they thrive here.
Okay thank you. If I see he is screen climbing to get closer I will adjust the lamp

@Beman so this morning I thought he was doing sooo much better. He seems to be. Not popping and not really any sound when puffing up (around me) but I did notice when he opened his mouth he had some built up saliva. It happened so fast I didn’t get a great look but it definitely made my heart sink. Is this normal?

@Beman i don’t see it all the time, just that once.
So they do have saliva in their mouth... is it bubbly in the corners of the mouth or stringy excess?

I honestly think the only thing that will settle your nerves is a vet visit. I am not going to say no it is not an RI because I am not there and not a vet and have no hands on experience. I just know what to look for. If he is sitting with his nose pointed up stretching the gular and or gaping while doing this then yes he should be taken to the vet.

I believe you have new mom nerves... Trust me I get it. I do it every single time I get a new one. And I am by no means saying ignore and blame it on settling in period. This was detrimental for me in the passed. I am saying you need to do what you feel is right.

So they do have saliva in their mouth... is it bubbly in the corners of the mouth or stringy excess?

I honestly think the only thing that will settle your nerves is a vet visit. I am not going to say no it is not an RI because I am not there and not a vet and have no hands on experience. I just know what to look for. If he is sitting with his nose pointed up stretching the gular and or gaping while doing this then yes he should be taken to the vet.

I believe you have new mom nerves... Trust me I get it. I do it every single time I get a new one. And I am by no means saying ignore and blame it on settling in period. This was detrimental for me in the passed. I am saying you need to do what you feel is right.
It wasn’t bubbly or stringy that I could notice. It happened so fast but he just ate a cricket and I watched him chew it, didn’t see any build up, but after that cricket he puffed up and made 1 popping noise. He isn’t pointing his head up and he seems to be breathing fine.
And yes I have new mom nerves. The anxiety attacks I’ve had since the start of this has me questioning if I jumped into this again too fast. I never had any of these problems/concerns with my past babies. It’s been 5 years but holy cow this gives me anxiety!!

It wasn’t bubbly or stringy that I could notice. It happened so fast but he just ate a cricket and I watched him chew it, didn’t see any build up, but after that cricket he puffed up and made 1 popping noise. He isn’t pointing his head up and he seems to be breathing fine.
And yes I have new mom nerves. The anxiety attacks I’ve had since the start of this has me questioning if I jumped into this again too fast. I never had any of these problems/concerns with my past babies. It’s been 5 years but holy cow this gives me anxiety!!
Yeah but it has been 5 years... I think it is better to be over cautious then not pay attention. Just keep an eye on him. Try not to hover too much. He is still settling in as well. lol

Yeah but it has been 5 years... I think it is better to be over cautious then not pay attention. Just keep an eye on him. Try not to hover too much. He is still settling in as well. lol
It’s been too long! Lol so I feel like I’m so in the dark with all of this still.. I’m re learning, everything’s slowly coming back, thank god lol thanks for your help again lol

Back
Top Bottom