Protected Parson Locals

Motherlode Chameleon

Chameleon Enthusiast
To the best of my knowledge the Parsons phases chameleons that are protected are
Green Giant by Masoala National Park
Yellow Lipped by Ranomafanna National Park
Cristifer by Perinet National Park
Yellow Giant not protected
Orange Eye White Lipped by Ambatovaky Secial Reserve, Mananara Nord and Zahamena National Park

Just going through some CIN articles I just repurchased from the forums bookstore. As well as the book Guide Des Cameleons De Madagascar.

Just confirming is this list accurate?

Panthers and Vields are great Parsons are spectacular!

Non protected chameleon areas are somewhat protected like with the CITES ban. However in an unstable country the way Madagascar is presently, National Parks and preserves are the most optimum way to conserve wild lands. The threat of slash and burn agriculture is always a threat with unprotected areas.

The species are protected from export (although still ignored) while the forests (chameleon homes) are left unprotected. Loss of habitat is more imperiling to chameleon populations than collecting for the hobby. Making preserves conserves chameleon habitat the best over long periods of time. Making this happen is important if you want to see other quota species, since when a species is adequately represented in national parks and preserves and there is good secondary forests/habitat then it is appropriate to approach CITES about making new quotas and (worthy of the privilege) allowing some collecting. Protecting/ conserving certain locals means that if quotas are redone you are going to have a opportunity to work with many phases or varieties.

Species may be protected from export however their homes are not reliably and adequately protected thus imperiling the species. No they're not all protected.

Ideally before allowing collecting, the wild population of a chameleon species should be thriving in the wild and their habitat should not be threatened. Not just protected in preserves. This is seen with all the quota species that are available now. LOL

1995 I was predicting that Calumna Brevicornus would be the one of the quota species. I was wrong.

Great news a region where Yellow Giant reportedly comes from is being considered as a nature preserve. This preserve is being considered in the Anosibe An-ala region. This consideration is coming from the IUCN Red List in efforts to conserve a keystone /umbrella species the Indri Indri. Meaning conservation of Madagascars largest lemur and the last phase of Parsonii that is not protected could soon be protected.

Last edited:
The region for Yellow or Golden Giants that are being considered for a nature preserve is first and foremost being considered to conserved habitat for the Critically Endangered Calumma tarzan.

Here's a link to an article.
http://novataxa.blogspot.com/2011/12/2010-calumma-tarzan.html

Sorry they are not posting an abstract just the title. I'm going to stop by the UC Davis library and pick up a complete copy of this article as they are probably subscribed to this journal. It is great to live near my alma mater.

Last edited:
Yellow or Golden Giant Parsonii are protected by Vohimana National Park.

Thanks for the update Niels Pedersen.

According to a couple articles there are talks of creating a corridor between Andasibe, Vohimana and forests to the south (I'm assuming forest where Calumma tarzan are found) which is great conservation news if that happens.

Here's some undated notes from lemur researchers in this regard.
http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/8d795/1fbe69/

This is an updated range map of Calumma parsonii parsonii. This native range map includes the range for Calumma parsonii cristifer as well.

800px-Calumma_parsonii_distribution.png

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Back
Top Bottom