Prolapse veiled need advice

james557

My little 8 month veiled "doug" is prolapsing right now, I am in the process of making sugar water and letting him soak then lubing with ky jelly...I am trying everything here to help as the closest vet to take home to is 40 minutes and I am worried he will become to stressed and not make it on the car ride there and back...is there anything else I can do to help him I feel awful, have never had this happen before to any of my reptile pets or pets in general so I'm kind of at a loss of what else to do, any suggestions or help would be great!

Sorry to hear about this.
Is it a hemipene or intestinal prolapse?

How are you planning to take him there? In what...set up?

Sorry to hear about this.
Is it a hemipene or intestinal prolapse?

How are you planning to take him there? In what...set up?
It is intestinal, I read to put him in a box with most towels at the bottom to keep it moist, I'm just nervous about the car ride due to stress and Wisconsin weather isnt the best to keep him warm enough and such, ontop of that I feel like a 45 minute car ride one way may really stress him out if hes not feeling well already, I want to help him but I don't want to hurt him more at the same time if that makes sense. He also went nuts for water yesterday (he has a constant flow of water) and today he wants nothing to do with it, so I am becoming more nervous by the minute

My vet use to be over four hours away and I took my chameleons as needed and they all did fine. The most important thing right now is to get him to a good reptile vet with chameleon experience.

If you're using a box he should go to sleep for the ride because it will be dark inside....so that shouldn't be too stressful.
How cold is it outisde today...I live in Ontario so I'm north of you and it's 10C. I used to lay a hot water bottle BESIDE the box if I thought it was too cold...but make sure the water is just warm not hot... and beside the box not under it.
Good luck! I hope you have a good vet!

My vet use to be over four hours away and I took my chameleons as needed and they all did fine. The most important thing right now is to get him to a good reptile vet with chameleon experience.
Good to know, thank you...was there a certain way you transported them?

If you're using a box he should go to sleep for the ride because it will be dark inside....so that shouldn't be too stressful.
How cold is it outisde today...I live in Ontario so I'm north of you and it's 10C. I used to lay a hot water bottle BESIDE the box if I thought it was too cold...but make sure the water is just warm not hot... and beside the box not under it.
Good luck! I hope you have a good vet!
Never even thought of that!! It is 43F today so it's a bit cooler, I can always run the heat in the car as well..as far as the vet goes, I am searching, I am not sure the one I originally planned on taking him to is the best choice.

Back
Top Bottom