Professional for rehome?

sonia

Hi everyone
This comes with a very heavy heart, so please no negativity as I feel a world of emotions and sorrow, regret and madness.

I have a panther cham. He is about 1 year old. He is small and unwell but the vet can't help me figure it out.

I am finally of the opinion that I would rehome him to a professional in Hope's of giving him a chance for life.

He hardly eats, hardly drinks, and yes I do provide both food and water.

He is small, half the size he should be, the vet thinks maybe he just wasnt meant to grow big.

He keeps one of his eyes closed often and I've given him a drop provided by the vet, and it worked so I stopped and were back to closed eye.

The biggest issue is that he just doesnt eat. We try crickets, mealworms. Wax worms and we have provided horn worms. Nothing. He eats once in a blue moon but he should be eating more. I just feel like I'm failing him.

I'm located in guelph/hamilton/milton area and think he is better off with someone who has more experience and time than I do, but I also wont be just comfortable handing him over to anyone as I do care about him. I want to know he is going to someone who will try whatever they can.

Again this is not what I want, or intended but am only doing what I think may be best for him.

Attachments

• 1573408522041673836276194824435.jpg
    1573408522041673836276194824435.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 83
  • 20191110_125702.jpg
    20191110_125702.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 91
Hi. Before you rehome your guy, might I suggest you first fill out the help form and have all of your husbandry reviewed? There may be something incorrect that is causing your chams illness. If so, it gives a chance for your guy to recover and you to be able to keep him.
While we place a great deal of trust in our veterinarians, many are not completely knowledgeable when it comes to chameleons.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Thanks Brody! I just hope my vet can quickly diagnose the issue/s and we can get him on the road to recovery. Not eating can be a million things, but a couple thorough fecals, and some bloodwork will give us a better picture. The challenge is going to be doing the medical investigation and treatments in such a way that doesn’t put him over the edge.

Hi. Before you rehome your guy, might I suggest you first fill out the help form and have all of your husbandry reviewed? There may be something incorrect that is causing your chams illness. If so, it gives a chance for your guy to recover and you to be able to keep him.
While we place a great deal of trust in our veterinarians, many are not completely knowledgeable when it comes to chameleons.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

I have posted with all this information before and didnt get very far with it.

Thanks Brody! I just hope my vet can quickly diagnose the issue/s and we can get him on the road to recovery. Not eating can be a million things, but a couple thorough fecals, and some bloodwork will give us a better picture. The challenge is going to be doing the medical investigation and treatments in such a way that doesn’t put him over the edge.

He has had bloodwork done by my vet here and it showed nothing to be concerned with.

Here's a link to the thread with the husbandry information in it...
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/eye-insight-and-tale-question.171217/#post-1514664

I hope this helps.
@sonia ...did you ever check up on the vitamin A?

Did you ever get him off the mealworms diet?
Is he drinking well? Do you have a dripper?
Did you take him to the vets at the OVC (Ontario Veterinary College)?

I will repost for you of course, I just felt like when I tried before I got nothing.
No need. @kinyonga is on top of things.
I’m sorry you haven’t been able to get your cham well. Hopefully @Kaizen will be able to.

Back
Top Bottom