Possible tear duct problems, but I want your input.

makkatfloof

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Veiled, male, either 5 or 6 months old.
How long has it been in your care? - I’ve had him for about a month now.
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? - before this problem, only when he’d ask (yes, he’d actually ask to be taken out by looking at me and waving his arms. He just walks up my arm and sits on my shoulder and sleeps). Now, I’m having to force feed him Carnivore Care once a day and put his prescription on his eyes twice a day. He doesn’t get too noticeably stressed out when doing this though, but I think that’s just because he likes humans and handling for some reason.
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? - before this, he was eating mainly hornworms and crickets. He is like a little kid where he refuses to eat his fruits and veggies and only wants the good stuff. I guy loaded them with cricket crack and the hornworms came in their little containers with their own gutloading food that I do not know what is specifically. He usually ate about 4 baby hornworms and a few crickets. Or if it was a day for just crickets, about 4 or 5. I felt like this was a little under the amount he should have been getting and tried more since he just looked thin, but never got him to eat more. He also only eats in the late afternoon each day. He’s kind of picky about food AND time. Now, he’s basically living off force feeding with 0.3 ml Carnivore Care since he can’t see to hunt.
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? - he gets exoterra calcium every day, and repical calcium with d3 twice a month.
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?- he gets misted about 5 times a day for 5 minutes each. Haven’t been able to get him to drink from a dripper, but weirdly drinks out of the faucet when it drips. Before the eye problem, he was drinking about every time I misted. Now, he only gets what’s in the Carnivore Care. The vet told him I didn’t need to give extra water with that since it’s in the mix even though he isn’t drinking. I just also don’t feel like that’s right so I try to force feed him about 0.1 ml of extra water in the morning. He is still getting misted as often as before though.
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? - weirdly, his colors, urate, and amount of times he poops/urates is normal. He has never had parasites and tested negative for them.
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. - he is the sweetest and most people loving little attention whore there is. He is super duper active. Now, he’s went down to nothing and doesn’t want anyone touching him but me. I mean, I guess I wouldn’t either with being basically blind.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? - glass screen combo (not like a terrarium though. Sides are glass but front and top are screen. This is only temp as his repibreeze got put on backorder and will be in tomorrow). Don’t know the exact deminsions, but it’s pretty close to what a reptibreeze medium is.
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? - he gets 12 hours on, 12 hours off starting at 7 am. Don’t remember the exact brands because they were gifted to me, but currently he has both heating and uvb.
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?Basking is 80-85. Rest of the cage is between 75-78. I measure these with thermometers. His lowest overnight temp is between 70-75.
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? - the humidity is normally around 50-70. I try to go by the day. I live in Indiana, so each day is different with humidity.
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? No live plants currently. When his repibreeze comes in, he will have a croton cordeaum.
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? - on a stand by the window. Not near vents or high traffic.
Location - Where are you geographically located? -indiana.

Current Problem -
I have a juvenile male veiled chameleon. I got him from CBReptile on March 27th. When I took him out of the box he was shipped in, he was in the middle of a shed. He had one eye shut and it looked like he was having it shut due to shedding around the eye.
Eventually, this eye did not open back up and spread to the other eye, even after shedding. He completely shut down and would even throw food back up.
After an emergency visit, it was decided he had tear ducts clogged in both eyes. 3 days later now, with meds and after having his eyes and nasals flushed, it hasn’t helped much. He opened one eye for a little bit yesterday and actually drank a little water on his own and then has kept it closed since.
I called the vet and they are saying all I need to do is continue to give him the Carnivore Care once a day until his eyes open. He was given a gel type medicine to put on his eyes. Idk why, but I have a gut feeling that this is not something you’d give a person with a clogged tear duct let alone a chameleon. I may be wrong, but with how it’s not working so far and just common knowledge, it seems weird.
Anyways, my main focus is that his eyes look nothing like the pics I’ve seen on here with other chameleons having clogged tear ducts. His are completely shut and one almost looks bruised. There’s no drainage or anything out of the ordinary other than that.
So, help I guess please?????
Pics of the eyes below.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 191
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 160
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 140
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 175
Hi, welcome to the forums! I'm sorry to hear about your troubles, but it sounds like you've been putting in a lot of work to help your little buddy out. I wish I could offer you more, but here are a couple thoughts/observations. First of all, regarding the vet you went to, do they have expertise specifically in chameleons? Not all reptile vets are good choices for chameleons. The reason I'm asking this is because my understanding (and I could be wrong) was that carnivore care is generally not recommended for chameleons? Because chameleons are insectivores, which is more specific. Here's a thread I found about it going back: https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/carnivore-care-anyone-use-this-before.54294/. Take a look in that thread and see what you think. They recommend making your own "bug juice" (http://web.archive.org/web/20060614193627/http://adcham.com/html/husbandry/bug-juice.html) rather than using the carnivore care stuff, which isn't tailor made for chams.

My last observation is in regards to handling. While I know it is tempting to believe your chameleon wants to hang out with you, the reality is that that is just not the case. It is sometimes hard not to project human thoughts and feelings onto a chameleons actions, but just keep in mind that their actions should not be anthropomorphized. Your chameleon is signaling that it wants to get out of the cage, not that it wants to sit on you. Moreover, and it sounds like you might not know this, your chameleon sleeping on you is a bad sign. This means that he is either so stressed out his body is shutting down or a sign of illness (regardless of your interpretation of his colors at the time).

Back
Top Bottom