Possible Growth

cjones0926

I’ve recently adopted a Veiled Chameleon. He’s been in my home for over a month and is 7 or so years old according to his past owner. When I first got him the owner said he only ate 2 crickets every few days which I found odd. After a few days I noticed his habitat that was provided was not properly heated so I fixed that. He became less shy. He now eats about 10-15 meal worms a day plus crickets and silk worms. I feel he is doing pretty great.
He is not friendly so I haven’t handled him (slowly he has learned to come to the top for food and is more aware of me). However I noticed a spot on his mouth (originally thought maybe teeth). It doesn’t seem to effect his eating or drinking. Any ideas what this could be or my next steps.

Attachments

• 2563B48E-F27A-48E3-B2E5-120138F2CF38.jpeg
    2563B48E-F27A-48E3-B2E5-120138F2CF38.jpeg
    176.6 KB · Views: 62
  • 113AA48D-6139-43FF-A669-35B5BFC9ED88.jpeg
    113AA48D-6139-43FF-A669-35B5BFC9ED88.jpeg
    188.3 KB · Views: 80
mouth rot anyone?
and stop feeding mealworms, they are terrible.
you can feed:
Dubias, Supers, Silkies, crix, BSFL, horns.
You cannot feed (or at least in great moderation)
waxworms, mealworms, and a few i can't think of.

Thank you. I am in the midst of ordering him different insects and hoping now that he is more comfortable he will eat more of a variety (he didn't care for crickets or locust at first). The meal worms were parts of a "Chameleon food pack". Living in Italy, and trying to translate bugs has been something else. Appreciate the suggestions. Looks like I'll need to find a vet for the mouth rot.

• Your Chameleon - Male, 7years, Veiled, have had for one month.
  • Handling - He has not been handled by me, past owner said she didn’t handle him because he didn’t want to be.
  • Feeding - he likes meal worms the most (eats about 10/day, eats silkworms, crickets, locust as well (they are free roam in the cage so the amount carries) The meal worms he eats at about 10am. Gut loading with oranges and vegetables
  • Supplements - Dusting with d3 calcium 2xweek and repti calcium
  • Watering - currently spraying cage 4xday. Has a drip system but it’s not working properly right now. He does drink water
    Fecal Description - Produces both white urate and brown fecal normal texture and color. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?not sure
  • History - past owner gave zero history except she fed him 2 crickets every other day.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Combo of glass and screen. 4 ft tall, 2 ft wide
  • Lighting - has a up light on from 6a-8pm, and red ceramic heat lamp on at the same time.
  • Temperature - Mornjng before I turn the lamp on the cage is about 68, with lamps it is between 80-86. There is two thermometers in the cage at his basking area and at the top.
  • Humidity - 40-50% I have a fogger that I turn on 2-3times a day
  • Plants - Mix of fake and live. Not sure what kind of live plant it is.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? In the corner of a room near window/heat radiator. Not high traffic area
  • Location- Pordenone Italy

• attached a photo. His lamps are off because it’s 1am here. He’s fast asleep. Name is Pascal.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 52
Back
Top Bottom