Poisonous Chameleons

Salty

I found some place on line that said chameleons are poisonous. Does anyone know what types of chameleons are poisonous?

Sounds like a wikipedia fact. lol "And here we show a picture of the famous rear fanged gaboon viper chameleon of Uganda". spoken in a british accent of course...:D:p

Sounds like a wikipedia fact. lol "And here we show a picture of the famous rear fanged gaboon viper chameleon of Uganda". spoken in a british accent of course...:D:p

this one is poisonous.
as is the rare and highly intelligent, barb through the heart chameleon.. known for its hatred of crocodile hunters. (spoken in an australien accent):rolleyes:

Lmao.. I think I have heard of a few times of melleri bites being loaded w/ bacteria but Id guess thats a myth as well

Yea, I've never heard a poisonous chameleon either! I think whatever source said it is wrong. It's true that reptiles in general can carry the bacteria salmonella but it's not poisonous, and unlikely to kill you in the rare case that you catch it.

The tongue of the chameleons carries a neorotoxin that allows it to neutralize insects and begins digestion prior to entering the stomach. The tongue uses nematocists similar to that of its ocean dwelling long lost cousin... The sea anemonie. While not a poison, it is a toxin that can cause severe damage to a humans nervous system if contacted. This is why it is recommended to wear gloves when hand feeding your chameleons.

The tongue of the chameleons carries a neorotoxin that allows it to neutralize insects and begins digestion prior to entering the stomach. The tongue uses nematocists similar to that of its ocean dwelling long lost cousin... The sea anemonie. While not a poison, it is a toxin that can cause severe damage to a humans nervous system if contacted. This is why it is recommended to wear gloves when hand feeding your chameleons.

interesting, but i've been in contact with my chams toung(getting me instead of the food) and never had any problems.

I have NEVER heard that and a search for it in online science journals and generally in Google turns up nothing.

Encyclopedia Britannica:
Nematocyst: minute, elongated, or spherical capsule produced exclusively by members of the phylum Cnidaria (e.g., jellyfish, corals, sea anemones). Several such capsules occur on the body surface. Each is produced by a special cell called a cnidoblast and contains a coiled, hollow, usually barbed thread, which quickly turns outward (i.e., is everted) from the capsule upon proper stimulation. The purpose of the thread, which often contains poison, is to ward off enemies or to capture prey.

The tongue of the chameleons carries a neorotoxin
He's pulling your leg.

But seriously, chameleons might be venomous (I suppose).

Many snakes and lizards we think of as non-venomous are in fact venomous.

Bearded dragons for example have venom similar to rattlesnake venom, but delivered in such small amounts it does not have effect on us.

This was found true for most lizards several years ago (most snakes too), so although I do not know if they are venomous or not, it would not surprise me to learn that chameleons were also venomous.

(Poisonous=if you bite it, you are harmed, venomous=if it bites you, you are harmed. So poisonous vs venomous all depends on who is biting who :)).

And no, I am not joking.

A link for starters:
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn8331-lizards-poisonous-secret-is-revealed-.html

Another good link:
http://www.leidenuniv.nl/en/researcharchive/index.php3-c=134.htm

Last edited:
Poisonous & venomous are 2 different things :rolleyes: if you eat a chameleon and you die or get sick it is poisonous lol. If a chameleon bites you and you die or get sick then it is venomous. So I don't think there is such a thing as a venomous or poisonous chameleon :p lol.

interesting, but i've been in contact with my chams toung(getting me instead of the food) and never had any problems.

Because humans have a much larger body mass the neurotoxin isn't noticed at first. Over time the toxin is cumulative and can cause severe issues with the dermal and sub dermal layers as well as a major transformative effect in overall body chemistry.

This is where the legend of the were-chameleon comes from.

He's pulling your leg.

Many snakes and lizards are.

Bearded dragons for example have venom similar to rattlesnake venom, but delivered in such small amounts it does not have effect on us.

This was found true for most lizards several years ago (most snakes too), so although I do not know if they are venomous or not, it would not surprise me to learn that chameleons were also venomous.

(Poisonous=if you bite it, you are harmed, venomous=if it bites you, you are harmed. So poisonous vs venomous all depends on who is biting who :)).

And no, I am not joking.

A link for starters:
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn8331-lizards-poisonous-secret-is-revealed-.html

Another good link:

Dam beat me to it lol. I would have thought someone would have already caught this besides me and you.

He's pulling your leg.

Many snakes and lizards we think of as non-venomous are in fact venomous.

And no, I am not joking.

A link for starters:

Another good link:

How come you ruined my fun so quick? you totally could have gotten in on this :)

Because humans have a much larger body mass the neurotoxin isn't noticed at first. Over time the toxin is cumulative and can cause severe issues with the dermal and sub dermal layers as well as a major transformative effect in overall body chemistry.

This is where the legend of the were-chameleon comes from.

see.. you get it.

Back
Top Bottom