Please help!!!

camillethecham

Established Member
Hello everyone,

My chameleon has been on and off closing his eyes- I took him to an emergency exotic vet and they gave him a bundle care kit about a week and a half ago (shot of antibiotics, critical care carnivore formula, calcium gluconate, and fluids). The next day he was able to keep his eyes open but I took him to my specialty exotic vet anyway, just to be safe. The vet said that he looked really healthy other than the on and off closing of his eyes and his strength was very very good. They did an eye culture and it came back with no growth but he is still opening and closing his eyes. They gave me artificial tears which I have been putting in his eyes daily. Also, he hasn't been eating as many crickets as he normally does which I'm sure is normal as they get older. He does eat sweet potato and worms whenever I put them out for him and drinks his water. His eyes are not sunken in and there is no indication of MBD- as I've also had x-rays done. Does anyone know what it could possibly be or have any recommendations? I gave him another ml of the critical care supplements by mouth in case he is not sufficiently eating his dusted crickets. Thank you, I appreciate any input!!

Does anyone think it is possible that it could be a vitamin A deficiency?

I use REPTISUN 5.0 UVB and the Daylight blue 60W UVA/heat bulbs.

I dust with repticalcium without D3 mixed with Rep-cal Herptivite. Twice a month I use the Rep-cal with D3 to dust the feeders.

I gutload the crickets using the Repashy Bug Burger formula!

Does anyone think it is possible that it could be a vitamin A deficiency?

I use REPTISUN 5.0 UVB and the Daylight blue 60W UVA/heat bulbs.

I dust with repticalcium without D3 mixed with Rep-cal Herptivite. Twice a month I use the Rep-cal with D3 to dust the feeders.

I gutload the crickets using the Repashy Bug Burger formula!
@kinyonga

yes, they are the same lights and supplements I normally use and have never had a problem before

You only need to dust with the herptivite twice a month lightly. Not sure if it would hurt doing it more often or not.

Is the UVB light a long linear tube light?
The basking light should be a white light...you can use a regular household incandescent bulb for basking (not LED).

You could get the liquid A gel caps and try a very small drop of it on a feeder to see if it helps. It can.be overdosed...that's why I'm saying very small amount. It's easy to give more if it's needed...but what you give if it's too much will build up in the system and also can cause issues with the D3.

@kinyonga
Okay, I will make sure I dust with the Herptivite when I do the Calcium with D3.

I use the bulbs rather than the long, linear tubes. I am going to attach a photo of the two lights that I use. If you think the linear tubing would be better, I can buy one instead of the dome bulbs.

Attachments

• 1617412798381522970426281234890.jpg
    1617412798381522970426281234890.jpg
    271.6 KB · Views: 79
I wouldn't use the D3 one on the same day as the herptivite.
The long linear Reptisun 5.0 tube light is one of the most recommended ones to use. The one you're using IMHO can cause eye issues sometimes.

What wattage would you say is best for using the linear UVB tubing?

Okay, I will separate the days that I use it!
The longer the bulb—the higher the wattage; wattage is based on the bulb's length.
You want the one that runs the entire width of your enclosure.

An easy way to keep the supplements straight:
  1. Pick a day of the week (I supplement on Sundays when I do major cleaning).
  2. Every supplement day, alternate between calcium w/D3 and multivitamins. I mark the calendar ahead of time each month so I don't mix up supplement days.
  3. Every other day of the month, dust w/ calcium w/o D3

Hi just an example as I use different supplements. I keep this printed up every month ( you can customise to suit then file it i use individual sheets for each pet so I can keep track and have a log if I need to make a vet trip or just for my own use memory wise .

Attachments

• 20210403_174659.jpg
    20210403_174659.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 94
  • 20210403_175442.jpg
    20210403_175442.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 79
Back
Top Bottom