please help!!!

lowendfrequency said:
This thread is full of bad advice. You've basically been givng a perfect formula for growing bacteria in the bottom of your cage. The BEST substrate for a chameleon is NO substrate. I am astonished that no-one has mentioned the fact that your female may be gravid and ready to lay eggs, but I guess that's what you get when the blind lead the blind.

Now, let's get to the bottom of this. How old is your chameleon? Are you 100% positive it's a female? Are you providing a laying site and if not, do you know how to provide one? Are you fully aware of the complications involved with egg laying females including egg binding and calcium deficiencies? Are you financially prepared to take this animal to the vet?

If I were you I would place a large tub of moist soil (no perlite) in a deep tub and place it in your chameleons cage. Leave her alone for a day and check to see if she's started digging.

I have to agree. This thread needs to be deleted and restarted. The info here is inaccurate and confusing. This is very dangerous to newcomers. There is nothing of any benefit in this thread.

jimmo said:
Okay, um, something new happened. I saw her laying on the ground again, I picked her up to make sure she's still alive and she is, but I saw this freaky stuff going on in the cone shape around her eye. It looked like a little bubble pulsing up and down, I freaked out and called my boyfriend in tears, he wants me to take her back. I called the store I bought her from, the breeder is going to be there tomorrow. I told her I changed the substrate from reptibark to this vitesand because of all of you telling me reptibark is bad, and I'm sure we can all agree that is true... she said it's not, whatever. I mentioned the possibility of her laying eggs, she said she's too young still. So I guess I'm asking if anyone has any idea what was going on in her eye and if anyone has any advice for when I talk to the breeder, I know people out there BS just to make a quick buck, so I want to go there prepared.

Hello jimmo,

Your new chameleon should not be laying on the floor; this is a sign that something serious is going on. The animal should be returned or taken to a qualified veterinarian asap.

To get the most accurate advice on these forums, it is best to post more details on your setup and chameleon. You can find a list of suggestions here: [THREAD=66]link to details[/THREAD].
Here is some info on veterinarians: [THREAD=67]link to veterinarian resources[/THREAD].

The cage looks about the capacity of 10 gallons, it's tall and only the floor is not screen. I've been using ZooMed basking lamp 100 watts, basking area is in the mid 90's and a Reptisun 5.0 lamp. 12-14 hours per day. The rest of the cage is kept in the mid 80's and 70's and 80's at night. I added live plants, pothos, wandering jew, baby's tear. I have an entire room for all my reptiles, the chameleon's cage is kept above all the others so she doesn't see anything else. They all require the same heat and humidity.

Veiled chameleon, appears to be female, about 3 or so months old. Crickets are loose in her cage, she will not eat on her own. Some crickets are and some are not dusted with Reptocal and Reptivite. I mist her cage frequently, never seen her drink. Her poop is Black and white. The pet store just tells me she was perfectly fine when she was there. As far as the human eye can see, she looks healthy, she just doesn't eat or drink or her own and once in awhile one of us will walk out to check on her and see her laying on her side on the floor.

I started a new job at a local pet store today, as I was browsing the aisles I found Electrolyte and Appetite Stimulant with a picture of a veiled right on the front of the box, and says 'for veiled chameleons' (among other animals). Any input on that or anything else? I'm even beginning to wonder if a college or university may have good information and if they're someone I should try calling?

Sounds to me as if your veiled needs to go to the vet asap. There could be all kinds of reasons why she is not eating on her own, nor drinking. Parasites are one thing that comes to mind. Get a fresh fecal from her, put in a baggie, place in the refrigerator, and take the sample to the vet to check for possible parasites. Additionally, your vet can check her for MBD as well.

Don't use substrate in your caging. It is a haven for bateria, mold, and the emergence of mites. It is important to keep your caging floor clean from fecals and wash it with diluted bleach for sanitation to prevent these issues. It is almost impossible to keep a clean santitary cage with substrates.

Try to find a vet that is experienced in reptiles in your area, and take the vet a sample of the fecal and give her a physical. These may answer all your questions and medications to fix her ailment should she need it.

Good luck :)

how many nights in a row has she been in the 80's im curious, i use a 60 watt basking for my veileds. when mine were 3-4 months their basking spot was around 90 not much more maybe 91-92 at the most and they were only on 10 hrs most the time i kept the uvb on for 12 though.
i dont like letting the crickets run around inside their cages at night cause they will crawl over them etc.
is she cold when you lift her up?

Last edited:
No Substrate

Substrate in a chameleon enclosure is a bad idea. It is not uncommon for calyptratus to supplement their diet by eating what they think is something mineral rich. I have witnessed many veileds eating mouthfuls of soil from the container plants. That's why it is important to not use perlite in your plantings, as it could feasibly clog their intestinal tract, instead, cut your soil with sphagnum peat and keep tamped down firmly. I say this because I have time and time again seen them singling out anything in the soil that is white (Im assuming they think it's calcium rich). Veileds will also eat dead prey items, even if laying in feces, so you can begin to understand the problem with substrates, i.e. a piece of substrate with a dead cricket lying on it gets swallowed. That's why it's a good idea to have a screen bottom on the enclosure, with a tray underneath to catch droppings and excess from watering. That being said, if you were to use sand and rocks in an enclosure, I would recommend putting the sand on top to avoid accidental ingestion of the rocks. Also, sand drys out quickly and desiccates droppings, reducing the chances for the contamination of a chameleon bent on walking the bottom.

Preferably No Substrate

Need to add to the above, if sand is used, it should be changed regularly (because of bacterial buildup).

Last edited:
I'm taking all substrate out. So far not a single person or care sheet online has had anything good to say about reptibark, the lady that owns the pet store got a seriously bad attitude when I told her that. She told me that's only a matter of opinion and that the sand is bad, it can bind the chameleon up. I definately can see how reptibark can get ingested and how it can be a bacterial breeding ground. So if no one can agree on a safe substrate, then obviously NONE is the top choice. The pet store owner also told me the plants could be a problem, she said her breeder knows pothos is okay, but isn't sure about the wandering jew or baby's tear. Does anyone know about the wandering jew and baby's tear?

I used this list in deciding the plants to buy...
http://www.geocities.com/chameleoncreatures/nontoxicplants.html

Trying to sort this out...

I'm not a vet and what I say is "food for thought"/possibilities. Only a vet can tell you for sure what is wrong with her. Correct husbandry is still necessary to keep her in good health once she is back in good health.

Hopefully some of the following will help you either with this chameleon or any you may have in the future.

She may be staying on the bottom because the cage is too hot. You said..." temperature is always kept at 80+ during the day"...the basking area should be in the mid to high 80's but there should be some parts of the cage that are cooler so she can regulate her temperature. I believe you said the temperature did vary throughout the cage. Does the sun shine on her cage? Could she be foing to the floor trying to get away from the heat? (That still doesn't account for her laying on her side...does she appear to be falling over because she is gripping the bark or because she just can't stand up at all?)

You said your chameleon pooping...so unless its scant or thin, it likely isn't impaction. Anyway...I don't use any substrate in chameleon cages...they can hold bacteria, are hard to keep clean, can cause impaction, can be toxic, etc. Its just not worth the risks.

Pothos is okay...my veileds have stripped plants bare and had no problems from it...not sure about babytears or wandering jew.

What Frank Castle said (MBD) is another possibility for her being on the floor of the cage. If her calcium/phosphorous/vitamin D3/vitamin A are not in balance, she could have MBD.

Does your calcium supplement contain phosphorous? If she doesn't get any direct (not through glass or plastic) sunlight or her UVB tube was weak, then she could be lacking vitamin D3. Do any products you are using have vitamin A from a preformed source? It can build up in the system...but vitamin A from a beta carotene source can't. Be careful with the vitamin D3 too...because it can build up when given in the form of supplements. It can't normally if she produces it from exposure to UVB or sunlight.

Here are some sites with good information on chameleons that you might be interested in reading...
http://adcham.com/
http://www.chameleonnews.com/
http://www.chameleonjournals.com/vet/
http://www.uvguide.co.uk/whatreptilesneed.htm

I still recommend a visit to the vets if you are going to keep her.

One more thing...the bulging/rolling thing going on with the eye/turret is likely her trying to clean it. Misting her eye gently might help. It freaks everyone out the first time they see this happen!

Back
Top Bottom