Please help!

Orchidartist

I just got home from work and I am having a serious panic attack. Wasabi was just sitting at the bottom of his cage...I picked him up and he is all wonky. I am crying my ass off. His left front arm is all over the place and hes gripping the air constantly. I tried to get him to go on his basking branch, but is arm is useless and his back legs were just holding onto each other. He fell off twice in my hands. I put him back down on the cage floor and my poor baby cant even walk. I dont know what to do. He looks crippled.
He was fine a few days ago...I have no clue why this is happening. Please, if you have any ideas for me...I would appreciate anything! I wrote about his symptoms in another post "Wasabi is acting funny" a few topics down.
Thanks
DJ

I just got home from work and I am having a serious panic attack. Wasabi was just sitting at the bottom of his cage...I picked him up and he is all wonky. I am crying my ass off. His left front arm is all over the place and hes gripping the air constantly. I tried to get him to go on his basking branch, but is arm is useless and his back legs were just holding onto each other. He fell off twice in my hands. I put him back down on the cage floor and my poor baby cant even walk. I dont know what to do. He looks crippled.
He was fine a few days ago...I have no clue why this is happening. Please, if you have any ideas for me...I would appreciate anything! I wrote about his symptoms in another post "Wasabi is acting funny" a few topics down.
Thanks
DJ

PLEASE get him to the vet ASAP. There are a number of things that could cause this. I could ask when he last pooped/ate/his current temps and UVB, but really, I think you need to get Wasabi to the vet. If it's MBD the vet can give him an injection to help him. If he's impacted, the vet can help with that. A blood draw may be a good idea to check out his nutrition.

I know how you feel, we've been through medical circumstances with our chams too, and took our's to the vet. Sometimes there's just no substitute for a vet. He fell ill a couple of days ago, and has been going down hill. When this happens, it just really is time for the vet.

I the mean time I would suggest adjusting his habitat so he cannot fall, and so he can reach food, but handle him as little as possible, and be very careful when you do, to avoid injury.

I don't see where you ever answered the questions about having a UVB light on him. He needs to see a vet ASAP.

I still need to find a vet:( I've called everywhere...I've got my hopes on one place I left a message, I feel so horrible. I just dont get it, he seemed perfectly normal 4-5 days ago!
I have an Exoterra sunglo bulb for basking and I move his cage into the strong sunlight almost every afternoon...it seems like he has MBD my poor little dude, I dont know why?
Thank you for the replies. Im going to get him to the vet as soon as I can.

Hi, on your previous post you said:

"I use a pinch of Repcal Calcium/Vit D every once and awhile"

How often is "every once in a while"?

What you might want to do is search the forums on "supplementation schedule".

I personally use Repcal Calcium WITH and WITHOUT Vit D3, Herptivite, Mineral O & Vit A caps (tiniest drop) once a month.

You can also check out this web address for vets: https://www.chameleonforums.com/veterinarian-resources-67/

I hope your dude gets better..

I know it seems like it should be, but, infortunately, sunlight streaming through a window is not enough. Building codes are such that the housing industry now uses window glass that has been treated for lowE penetration. In most climates north of the equator, a UVB lamp is a must for chameleons. Get one right away. They are available at Petsmart and Petco, and most people here use the 5.0 tube shaped bulb. But your chameleon's current condition requires a vet visit also. Have you found one yet? Even if you don't have a chameleon qualified vet in your area, your cham's symptoms are clear enough that a decent vet should be able to confer with his pals and get a diagnosis going. Let us know how it goes. We're all hoping for a 100% recovery.

Last edited:
You said..."His left front arm is all over the place and hes gripping the air constantly. I tried to get him to go on his basking branch, but is arm is useless and his back legs were just holding onto each other. He fell off twice in my hands. I put him back down on the cage floor and my poor baby cant even walk. I dont know what to do. He looks crippled"...there is a very great possibility that this is MBD...and its serious enough that he needs help ASAP!!!!!!!!!!

In a previous post you said..."shakier than normal. He seems like hes slouching on his branches and not standing like usual"..again...indications that he has MBD.

You need to get him to a vet...NOW! The vet can make sure that this is whats wrong with him. MBD can be treated by giving your chameleon calcium injections until the blood calcium levels are high enough to give him a shot of calcitonin to draw the calcium quickly back into the bones. There are other ways that things can be brought back under control too. Any deformities will remain.

This is what you should have been providing for your chameleon...its what he needs now IN ADITION to doing whatever it takes to get him back to normal....
You need to give him proper UVB light now...it must not pass through glass or plastic. It can come from direct sunlight or a linear/tube UVB light. This will allow him to produce D3 and thus use the calcium in his diet.

You need to ensure that there is enough calcium in his diet. A phosphorous-free calcium powder should be used at most feedings to ensure that he has enough.

You need to ensure that the temperatures are in the mid to high 80'sF in an area where he can sit to bask so that he can digest the food properly.

Phosphorous, calcium, D3 and vitamin A are the main players in bone health and they need to be in balance. You need to look at the supplements and at what you are feeding to the insects and at what you are feeding to the chameleon when trying to attain a balance.

Excess PREFORMED vitamin A can prevent the D3 from doing its job and lead to MBD. Too much D3 from supplements can cause problems. Too much phosphorous also causes problems.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Vet immediately. Have you found one yet? Isn't there a tel # where vets can call and get advice if they are not very good with reptiles? I don't remember what it is. I hope someone else can help with that if you haven't found a qualified vet, but keep in mind you might have to drive at least an hour, but they are well worth it.

Debby

Thanks for all of the replies, but unfortunatly my little Wasabi didnt make it. :(

We tried everything we could but his MBD was too advanced. It was a really great 4 months and I miss him terribly. Now that I know what I did wrong I know I wont repeat the same mistake on my next Cham.

Again, thanks all for your well wishes and suggestions, they were much appreciated.

Attachments

• wasabi6.jpg
    wasabi6.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 98
Sorry about your loss:( Unfortunately I think a lot of us have gone through tough situations when we were new to the hobby. Good thing is how much you have learned and you will be that much better off when you decide to get another. Thanks goodness for forums like this and all the info you can learn.

I heartily agree with chrisnlisa, did i spell that right? You might have lost 1, but look how much you have learned. Sorry he didn't make it. I hope that won't stop you from getting another one. Good luck.

Debby

Back
Top Bottom