Please HELP my chameleon has been sleeping all day

actualchameleon

My chameleon Kiwi has been sleeping against the side of her cage all day. Recently she has been seeming a lot less active. I'm not sure if she is gravid or sick. Also I noticed some weird bumps sticking out from her side. They could be broken ribs I don't know. I just put a laying bin in her enclosure today, but she still isn't moving. Should I take her to the vet??
A couple weeks ago she was extremely active, constantly trying to come out of her cage. I don't know why her behavior has changed so drastically.
I'm including some pictures that I took two days ago, she was moving so much that it was hard to get the pictures of the bumps on her side.
Today she will barely move, I'm really worried!
IMG_4898.JPG IMG_4861.JPG IMG_4855.JPG
This is how she's looked all day today:
IMG_4902.JPG
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled chameleon, about 6 months old, I've had her since october
  • Handling - Once a day
  • Feeding - Once a day I feed her about 7 crickets dusted with calcium. I also often feed her mealworms
  • Supplements - I dust the crickets everyday with calcium powder not containing D3.
  • Watering - I used to have a fogger for her but it broke, now I'm misting her twice a day. She hates the misting though, so I don't do it for longer than a couple seconds. I also have a little dripper that drips onto some fake plants. I only see her drink occasionally, it's hard to tell if she is getting enough water.
  • Fecal Description - Her urates are white, her feces are solid and a dark brown color.
  • History - I bought her from Petco.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Screen cage, reptibreeze large. Not sure of the exact dimensions.
  • Lighting - I use a zoo med UVA light, I had a 60 watt for about a week, then I realized it wasn't producing enough heat. Now I have a 150 watt UVA. I use a reptisun 5.0 UVB light as well, and a red 60 w heat lamp at night. I turn her lights off and the red light on at about 9 pm every night. I turn her day lights on whenever I wake up. I need to get an automatic timer for these lights.
  • Temperature - The overnight temp is about 75 degrees. The temp in the basking spot can range from 80-90 degrees.
  • Humidity - I've been maintaining moderate to semi-tropical humidity levels without the fogger. I am looking for a humidifier that I can rig with a hose to go into the cage.
  • Plants - I have one pothos plant that is barely hanging on. My plants haven't been surviving very well. I had a wax plant in there but my chameleon was eating it, and it couldn't grow fast enough to keep up with her.
  • Placement - Her enclosure is in my basement, it's finished and is usually quiet and warm. My dad does watch movies in there a lot though, which I'm worried disturbs her.
  • Location - I live in PA

Last edited:
Mealworms aren't great, as their hard shells make it hard for them to be digested. I can't say that this is the exact problem, but I would get her to the vet ASAP. Some other members here may be able to give a better answer. Good luck

Shes the right age to have eggs and looks a little lumpy, Her closing her eyes is a sure sign that something is wrong. Could be gravid and or dehydrated. Try putting her in the lay bin and give here some privacy. Check on her after an hour or so and see if shes trying to dig. If not, a trip to the Vet will be in order.

Update:
I took her to the vet. The vet felt her stomach and said it was distended meaning she is probably gravid. I put her back in the cage and turned on her dripper and she drank a lot, she still hasn't touched the laying bin.

She doesn't need a red heat lamp at night. They can stand temp drops into 55-60 degree range and it is actually good for them. They can see any sort of color of light and won't sleep well with a constant light on at night.

I would have had the vet xray her for eggs, then for sure you will know what you are dealing with. If she is closing her eyes during the day you have got a problem on your hands.
if you find out she has eggs for sure, I would stick her in the bin and start a hole for her. Make sure it is strong enough to hold a tunnel.

I would have had the vet xray her for eggs, then for sure you will know what you are dealing with. If she is closing her eyes during the day you have got a problem on your hands.
if you find out she has eggs for sure, I would stick her in the bin and start a hole for her. Make sure it is strong enough to hold a tunnel.
She seems to be ok now she is awake and climbing around her cage. The laying bin should be inside of her enclosure right?

Back
Top Bottom