Plant lighting

Chammy007

Established Member
Good morning. I'm shopping for plant lighting. What would you guys suggest? For polka dot plants? Benjamin ficus? Umbrella plants? Maiden ferns? In a Zen Habitats 24x24x48 enclosure. The more I read the more I'm leaning towards real plants not artificial. Although I have few that are arriving today. What effect would plant lighting have on plastic plants?
Thanks

Good morning. I'm shopping for plant lighting. What would you guys suggest? For polka dot plants? Benjamin ficus? Umbrella plants? Maiden ferns? In a Zen Habitats 24x24x48 enclosure. The more I read the more I'm leaning towards real plants not artificial. Although I have few that are arriving today. What effect would plant lighting have on plastic plants?
Thanks
An excellent plant light for all of those on that enclosure is this one, which goes on sale tomorrow (also avail. on Amazon & others).

LED plant lighting should have no effect on plastic—very little heat..

A cheaper option is a T5 HO fixture with a 6500K daylight bulb (which the fixture usually comes with)

Not equivalent.

Sunblaster T5 HO Fluorescent Strip Light, 2-Feet w/bulb ~$26
(4) T5 HO 6500K 24" replacement bulbs ~$19 (pro-rated)

These are 24W. To get the same output as the above Sansi 70W LED would require 3 of these lights.
$45 x 3 = $135 vs. $60 for the above 70W LED.

I guesstimate that shipping would come close to cancelling out, BICBW.

So over 5 years (the rated life & warranty of the 70W LED), the above Sansi will cost less than half of the T5 HO 6500K option.

Also, as ALL fluorescent tubes currently contain mercury, many localities consider fluorescent tubes as hazardous waste. Check with your locality.
They should be disposed of properly, and some localities charge for this, which should realistically be added to the cost of these lights. LEDs and incandescent bulbs are not considered hazardous, and can be disposed of like other trash.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom