planning

southflsti

hello everybody, new to this site and looking for any good advice you can give. I had a veiled chameleon as a kid and recently became interested in panthers. I am thinking about getting a pair of sambavas and a pair of ambilobes with the hope of breeding when they get old enough. not looking to make millions or anything, just love reptiles and would like to incubate eggs and see them hatch and grow!!! I live in south florida and would like to know what temps people keep they're homes. right now my ac is set to 75 when I'm home and off when I'm working and the temp gets up to 88. also wondering how long people run they're misters, I know 3 or 4 times a day should be good but how long each time? :confused:

hello everybody, new to this site and looking for any good advice you can give. I had a veiled chameleon as a kid and recently became interested in panthers. I am thinking about getting a pair of sambavas and a pair of ambilobes with the hope of breeding when they get old enough. not looking to make millions or anything, just love reptiles and would like to incubate eggs and see them hatch and grow!!! I live in south florida and would like to know what temps people keep they're homes. right now my ac is set to 75 when I'm home and off when I'm working and the temp gets up to 88. also wondering how long people run they're misters, I know 3 or 4 times a day should be good but how long each time? :confused:

My chameleons are in my patio which gets in the mid 80s. On hot days I will run the fan. I mist my chameleons every other hour for 3 minutes. Everyone has their own set time but my chams are well hydrated.

My A/C is kept around 72 degrees. If you can afford it, you should invest in and automatic mister (like Mistking). They will help a great deal. I mist my chameleons 3 times a day for 10 minutes each time, because it can take several minutes for a chameleon to finally begin drinking.

thanks for the info guys, I just got umbrella plants, reptisun 5 heat bulbs and fixtures, timer for the lights, and some cool fake vines. three cages ordered online and also mistking setup:D:D:D. now I have to wait patiently for everthing to show up. is there anything I missed before I buy some chams???

I would start with either 1 or a breeding pair at the most.

Taking on 4 brand new additions at once with no experience sounds like quite the task. Rehoming 4 animals should you change your mind would be some work as well. Not saying this will happen, but if you have a backup plan with that plan then you will be really set.

What sites have you been using for research so far?

edit:
I would check out this thread as well.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/cost-raising-69-baby-18467/
Keeping chameleons with no experience is hard enough. Breeding with no experience can be daunting and expensive especially with no experience. Being excited to own out of the gate is one thing, but jumping right into breeding head first could lead you to some heartbreak and trouble. Why not see if one or 2 is good enough first?

Last edited:
I have been reading alot for the last couple weeks and I had a veiled when I about 12 yrs old. I also had a 9 ft albino python who only ate chickens:confused:, albino cornsnake, rabbits, ferrets, many dogs growing up including a 135 lb rottweiler, and whatever I could catch in the yard!! I have had many many pets and have never gotten tired of them and decided to pawn them off on someone else. I'm 33 now and think that I know what I'm getting into. I'm not looking to breed immediately either but I definitely see myself wanting to down the road. so I figure why not start with 3 or 4 pets around 3 or 4 months old, and if I decide to breed a year from now I'll be ready.

Back
Top Bottom