Pet-sitting the pregnant Pickle Rick : Egg-bound and bummed out

Hello you wonderful community of chameleon enthusiasts! I’m in a bit of a pickle... I’m looking after a friends veiled chameleon for the next six months, and with no previous experience besides having also looked after my brothers Bearded Dragon, I’ve been frantically researching what I can to be able to give her the best care. She is well into her adulthood, and her coloration seems to be that of a gravid female, so I’m assuming she’s not just big boned and may actually be preparing to lay her little lizard eggies. Problem is, I’ve prepared a pot with soil and left it in her enclosure for her to do her motherly thing, but she’s shown no interest in it. I’ve wrapped a blanket around the outside of her terrarium for privacy, but to no avail. She’s a shy little lady, so I can’t really handle her without her throwing a hissy fit (well deserved I suppose, it is her body after all) but I’m getting concerned that she may be egg-bound. She does travel to the bottom of her enclosure quite often too. Are there any other ways for me to encourage her to pop out her babies or should I run her to the vet and get some x-rays to verify her current condition? Any and all advice is immensely appreciated, thank you!

- Jordan

Attachments

• 90915164-D325-4A10-9BBA-CEA42ADC655A.jpeg
    90915164-D325-4A10-9BBA-CEA42ADC655A.jpeg
    266.3 KB · Views: 123
  • B9E1CA54-7C60-4D3F-BE66-BBE7E006B9DD.jpeg
    B9E1CA54-7C60-4D3F-BE66-BBE7E006B9DD.jpeg
    212.7 KB · Views: 151
No need for a vet, definitely gravid. She will never lay in that bin, it’s all wrong. Same goes for the rest of her viv , all wrong.

Her lay bin should be 12x12x12 minimum filled with wet playsand. Slowly add water until it holds a tunnel.

Once that’s done let’s talk about the rest. I know it’s not your viv technically but for the next 6 months it is...

Please fill out the “how to ask for help” form and post your answers back here. Quality pictures will help us help you.

Chameleon Info:
◦ Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
◦ Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
◦ Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
◦ Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
◦ Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
◦ Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
◦ History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
◦ Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
◦ Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
◦ Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
◦ Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
◦ Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
◦ Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
◦ Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
1 The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
2 Photos can be very helpful.

Her lay bin should be 12x12x12 minimum filled with wet playsand. Slowly add water until it holds a tunnel.

Once that’s done let’s talk about the rest. I know it’s not your viv technically but for the next 6 months it is...

Please fill out the “how to ask for help” form and post your answers back here. Quality pictures will help us help you.

Chameleon Info:
◦ Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
◦ Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
◦ Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
◦ Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
◦ Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
◦ Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
◦ History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
◦ Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
◦ Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
◦ Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
◦ Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
◦ Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
◦ Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
◦ Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
1 The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
2 Photos can be very helpful.

Yeah I’m looking on kijiji for a larger and taller enclosure; one entirely enclosed with screen for proper air flow. I found a few that I’m waiting on a response to go grab. I did change out the soil to dampened playground sand today, but she’s asleep now so I’ll have to check on her and update with pictures tomorrow. I don’t know everything about her background, I’ll have to ask my friend for more information but I have been feeding her a diet of crickets (all gut loaded with whatever veggies I have at the time plus cricket quencher that’s calcium fortified, and the odd calcium dusted cricket), and meal worms - she doesn’t fancy the green horn worms so I’m not sure how to include more variety.

She has a “misting” system but I find it makes a mess and sprays too much, so three-four times a day I’ll use a spray bottle to leave copious water droplets on the leaves (I’ve seen her lick at them, but I’ve started collecting droplets on the bottle itself and she’ll drink it from there until she’s content). There’s a humidifier on the ground that’s pointed at her enclosure that I’ll turn on, and because her tank is glass I leave the doors open for ventilation and supervise her.

I realize her setup could be significantly better, that’s why I appreciate the concern and helpful advice. I’m honestly really looking forward to when I can share updates and photos of a proper habitat and a healthy chameleon. I’ll post more tomorrow so as not to stress her out.

Oh, I’ve had her here for just over a week now, my friend is being deployed which is why he asked me to look after her. I’m also going to get her a better UVB light; hers is too weak for her to properly absorb nutrients to their full potential (current is 5, gonna buy a 10). The live plant in her enclosure is my fig bonsai, dubbed “Benny”

... and welcome to the forum by the way!

I figured it had something to do with a deployment... cool. Good move with the screen and light upgrades, but I’m still seeing a few other red flags in what you’ve mentioned so far.

If you could just fill out that form we’ll help you get everything thing turned around!

Oh, I’ve had her here for just over a week now, my friend is being deployed which is why he asked me to look after her. I’m also going to get her a better UVB light; hers is too weak for her to properly absorb nutrients to their full potential (current is 5, gonna buy a 10). The live plant in her enclosure is my fig bonsai, dubbed “Benny”

Sorry, a little off topic. But how old is that Fig, the trunk looks AMAZING!

Sorry, a little off topic. But how old is that Fig, the trunk looks AMAZING!

I’ve had it for two years now, not sure how long it was on the shelf at Costco but when I picked it up it was nearly leafless. They’re supposed to thrive in humid conditions so I’m hoping it’ll just explode with foliage for the chameleon to hide in.

... and welcome to the forum by the way!

I figured it had something to do with a deployment... cool. Good move with the screen and light upgrades, but I’m still seeing a few other red flags in what you’ve mentioned so far.

If you could just fill out that form we’ll help you get everything thing turned around!

I just finished getting her set up in a new vivarium with the upgraded UVB bulb, she seems to enjoy climbing the screen which has me a little worried for her claws, but I think the extra height and ventilation make her happier; she’s been very explorative of her new space. I have a fern beside her for when I may need to get her out, or if she allows me to take her out for limited handling she’ll have a place to hang out. Going to grab an umbrella plant and more vines too since she doesn’t have much privacy, but I’m already very excited by the upgrade. I have the proper substrate for her now (white playground sand, dampened) but you mentioned it was too small so I have to grab another. I’m on my phone fixing some dinner so I’ll have to hop on the laptop afterwards and fill out her full bio for effective help and advice, but I very much appreciate all of the feedback!

Attachments

• 6B234D60-59A6-4FEC-9618-EB8E5AFB50F0.jpeg
    6B234D60-59A6-4FEC-9618-EB8E5AFB50F0.jpeg
    247.5 KB · Views: 115
Back
Top Bottom