(PDF) Prolonged incubation time in Calumma parsonii parsonii (Cuvier, 1824) and revealing circumstantial evidence for sperm retention.

Captive bred specimens Calumma parsonii parsonii are really neat. They have much less problems than wild caught imports. Although captive bred can be temperamental to raise they acclimate to captive husbandry much more effectively. I certain you have heard people say the same things for other species of chameleons. However I am going to especially say this again for Calumma parsonii ssp. Who knows Linda maybe you are going to have some captive bred Calumma parsonii parsonii available in Canada. There are a handful of breeders in the states. Calumma parsonii ssp. could become avaiable to keepers in Canada. That is when someday when you are willing and able.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

The male I had that had CANV was awesome ...in great condition when it arrived and at one point I had an awesome female...but they both came in years apartments mi never got to breed them. The female did lay eggs but after 13 months of incubation I stupidly threw them out not knowing that they took longer than that to hatch. They never rotted so they might above been good...but it's all water under the bridge. :(

Stay safe,
Lynda

The study was published by two Chameleon Forums members (Thorsten Negro and Andreas Augustine) and a third author Alexandra Laube.

Hi, the third one's here, too (just not that often as an active member), that's me. ;)

The female did lay eggs but after 13 months of incubation I stupidly threw them out not knowing that they took longer than that to hatch. They never rotted so they might above been good...but it's all water under the bridge. :(

Wow that's really sad. Honestly, we didn't expect one of the three eggs to hatch anymore. But there was a small glimpse of hope after using the Egg Monitor, so we continued incubation.

@Alexl said..."Wow that's really sad. Honestly, we didn't expect one of the three eggs to hatch anymore. But there was a small glimpse of hope after using the Egg Monitor so we continue incubation"..I always say never give up on an egg unless you know it's a dud for 100%

I always wondered if I would have had any of the eggs hatch if I had known more then and kept them.

And now I know who Alexl is too! :)

Last edited:
I can personally confirm sperm retention in C. Parsonii. I had a WC female yellow giant lay a clutch of eggs 1.5 years post importation. She ovulated during the normal end of summer months around 1 year post import without mating, and then went on to lay a full clutch of infertile eggs that winter. I thought they were all duds but threw them in the incubator anyway. After about a month they all dried up but one, which turned out to be fertile. That egg survived about 15 months but shrunk and died prematurely with a fully formed neonate.

Back
Top Bottom