Panther eye closing

Ryan Jarosek

Well it looks like a Vet visit is needed. Looks like it is more of a problem than when I mist him. He blinks the problem eye a lot and even closes it sometimes. I misted him again and he keeps that eye closed. Seems there is a problem.

As far as I can tell it does not look like there is anything wrong but I have no experience.

I feel bad for the little guy , I really hope its nothing serious.

For what length of time is he keeping his eye closed? Is it JUST during the misting? Is there any filming or discharge?

I think he keeps it closed for only a short time. Like 30 sec or so. Although when he is hiding I can't really see it.

I don't see any filming or discharge, and both eyes seem to look the same when open.

He may just be doing it to clear his eye of something. I would wait until tomorrow or Wednesday and see how things go and if he seems worse or doesn't improve, I would at least call a vet. Just keep misting him as usual. If he does have something in his eye, that will help him clean it out.

Howdy Ryan,

Well at least if it does turn into something, you've got Dr. Greek in your town :). (Can you imagine if he was your next door neighbor :rolleyes:.) I've seen some chameleons; my own included, close one eye as a sign of stressed induced just by keeper interaction. My old Veiled will close his left eye if I bring a feeder too close to his face. He won't close it any other time including when I pick him up to take him to his outdoor enclosure :eek:. He'll only close it for a couple of seconds and opens it when I withdraw my hand with the food item.

Thanks Dave, He does seem to do it when I am trying to see if it is closed. :) Could be from me getting to close. I am happy Dr. Greek is right down the street from me. I am going to give him a call if it doesn't get better in a day or so as recommended by Kat.

I love this fourm!!!!!!

Hate to be a bore but what kind of UVB bulb are you using? Is it a linear tube or a bulb? I don't know if you have another thread or not and have already listed it but i didn't see one. Mine was doing the same thing until i realized he was one of the ones that i hadn't changed the bulb yet to a linear bulb. The reg bulb ones can cause lots of problems. As soon as i changed the light within a couple of days and lots of misting he was okydoky.

Debby

I would highly recommend Dr. Tom Greek hes a real nice guy. I just payed him a visit last week my cham had the same problem continuously closing his eyes (the right mostly). Well It was all taken care of he gave me some drops to put in his eyes 3 times daily...and hes already improved!!

I am using a ReptiSun 5.0 UVB Fluorescent Bulb 24" tube.

Something that may be interesting is my fixture for the bulb failed. Light went out earlier today. I wounder if there may have been a problem with the bulb/fixture. The lighting is only a week old.

I am getting a new one tomorrow. So lets see if it helps.

Thanks for your input.

Ryan,
When I visited Dr. Greek he told me a lot of chameleons get eye problems or close there eyes frequently because we dont mist them as often...so they cannot clean there eyes. How many times a day do you mist him? Maybe you should mist him more often.

Brian

I have been watching my Cham and have some more info. It would appear he is only closing his eye/eyes when he is wet. I have not seen him close his eyes when he is dry. He looks fine and seems to be doing well.

I got him a new light as the old one blew a fuse. I bought an extra bulb and replaced the Reptisun 5 I was using with the new one just in case.

If he only does it when wet, most likely he is just cleaning his eyes. Ours do the same thing when they are being misted...kind of bulge them in and out for a few seconds. Hopefully this is all your little guy is doing. Good luck.

yeah ,, i wouldnt be to worried about it if he only does it when your misting.. thats pretty normal as they have to clean there eyes out..hope hes ok.

Yeah, Ryan, I'm sure he is just doing his eye maintainence routine. They all do it. I know how it is, though, any little thing can scare the poo out of you!

Back
Top Bottom