Panther Clutches Help!

Tap water has alot of unnatural chemicals, fluoride, chlorine...etc.. clay has natural minerals 100% no additives ro water is pure... vermiculite has chemicals added to it, I know saying that steps on alot of toes...but that what makes me unique

Last edited:
Tap water has alot of unnatural chemicals, fluoride, chlorine...etc.. clay has natural minerals 100% no additives ro water is pure... vermiculite has chemicals added to it, I know saying that steps on alot of toes...but that what makes me unique

Good Points, I also wonder what Bash did. Do the eggs absorb the water, so the Taps chemicals could present issues?

Another wonder I have had, as I have seen it mentioned lately. What about using Soil as the medium for the eggs? As it would be in nature, anyone tried that?

I think regular soil would introduce foreign pathogens, besides anything rough, sharp, big enough or heavy enough to hold down a female if a tunnel collapsed would be a problem, I was using large grain sand, and my females would very very scratched up, so I now use small grain sand, very minimal damage, also if whatever somebody has in egg laying bin is wet on the bottom, females always lay on the bottom 100% of the time, if the eggs are left more than 2 days the eggs will drown

I think regular soil would introduce foreign pathogens, besides anything rough, sharp, big enough or heavy enough to hold down a female if a tunnel collapsed would be a problem, I was using large grain sand, and my females would very very scratched up, so I now use small grain sand, very minimal damage, also if whatever somebody has in egg laying bin is wet on the bottom, females always lay on the bottom 100% of the time, if the eggs are left more than 2 days the eggs will drown

Well there is a few different statements here.

"I think regular soil would introduce foreign pathogens, besides anything rough, sharp, big enough or heavy enough to hold down a female if a tunnel collapsed would be a problem"

Well you covered that, obviously use small grain sand, like play sand, mixed with Eco earth, and sphag or something.

"also if whatever somebody has in egg laying bin is wet on the bottom, females always lay on the bottom 100% of the time, if the eggs are left more than 2 days the eggs will drown"

False bottom? Egg Cleaners? (Dwarf White Isopods).

I started to type up my big long spiel, but its my Niche. Talking to the wife, about getting into breeding panthers, and If I do its the technique I want to try, so Ill share it when it works :p.

But the premise is, Completely Bioactive raised Chameleons, Bio Parents, Bio hatched and raised babies, and sold only to Bio Keepers.

The eggs have to breathe, introducing cuc to eggs would be an interesting outcome, I wouldn't chance it..personally, but they live in the wild..... If you could start a bio active only breeding thread would be cool!!

The eggs have to breathe, introducing cuc to eggs would be an interesting outcome, I wouldn't chance it..personally, but they live in the wild..... If you could start a bio active only breeding thread would be cool!!

Such a thread, and such as my idea. May be frowned upon by alot of folks. So I have to be careful lol.

This is a good thread on the matter, https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/what-effect-does-not-leaving-eggs-buried-have.54372/

I am 100% with Jojackson, and that would be the same standpoint that I would be taking, to make the idea work. Thats the only way it could work.

It will not be, as you folks aim for 100% hatch rate, likely wont even be 80%. However, it will result in the strongest survival. Which I would argue as Jojackson did, maybe they were not meant to survive. By keeping them alive, by intervention, we could be weakening the gene pool.

Same with the babies that are being raised. Of course I would give them every advantage to survive. However giving babies vet trips and special care to intervene is just weakening the gene pool. Cruel as it may seem, nature should be allowed to take its course sometimes.

There is no doubt that we are weakening the gene pool, keeping in captivity is preventing them from building immunity to their native pathogens, viruses and such... I think to rebuild a native population could only be done in natural habitat...we are keeping pets...I would say in captivity we are removing risk of predators and teaching them to trust us which in natural habitat would be a predator...I keep chams out of fascination, I do however try to give them the best life I am capable of

Back
Top Bottom