Panther Chameleon Locale Test Crowdfunding Project

iPardalis

Avid Member
Site Sponsor
We are sponsoring an effort to develop a genetic test for Panther Chameleon locales. The data are from 324 sequenced and geocoded samples collected in 2011. The animals were released back into the wild and never entered the pet trade. The resultant test should cost around $75 per animal and just require a shed skin the size of a quarter or larger.

If you would like to be in on the ground funding this effort, we created a GoFundMe page with the details and how to get involved. Larger sponsors will be recognized on ipardalis.com for their contributions and various tiers get you access to early tests.

This could be very fun for hobbyists to check their animals genetic lineage and help breeders learn more about their stock. I am very excited to see the support we’ve already gotten and it’d be awesome if we can reach our goal and start developing the test!

Locale is a huge part of the hobby. Whether breeding or keeping the species, it is a fundamental part of the experience.

There are some locale combos which have been known to cause sterility, so this test could help us figure out which ones those are.

WC females but females in general are impossible to visually categorize in a given locale, so testing females for breeding purposes would be much better than creating unwanted crosses to prove her out. She’ll store sperm and keep producing crosses for an unknown duration.

Finally, curiosity. I just want to know and I believe our layman’s locales aren’t backed up by science. It’d be nice to know.

Back
Top Bottom