Outdoor enclosures- bird proofing?

HiroProtagonist

Right now I've got two jackson's chameleons in screen cages in rubbermade tubs in my room. They've each got their own drip and mist system. And each one gets a window. :) Now, this is working out great for the time being but over the long term it's going to be a problem/pain-in-the-arse for many reasons.

So! I've devised an outdoor enclosure system that's basically several homemade cages screwed together and mounted to the outside of the house with drainage underneath and some sort of corrugated greenhouse material as the top at an angle (kind of like a lean-to greenhouse).

Here's my issue...I've set my boy outside once when I first got him in his screen cage and he almost got mauled by a couple of bluejays who thought he'd make a tasty treat. So now I just don't trust plain screen anymore...plus I hear that PVC-coated hardware mesh is better for them to climb on anyways. The problem with that is a bird could stick his beak straight through it and potentially impale my porr little friend :eek:

So does anyone have any creative outdoor solutions? I'm thinking of putting the hardware mesh on the inside of the framing and maybe regular screen on the outside...not sure if I like that idea yet though...I'm up for suggestions.

Thanks!

Metal Screen Cages are best for outdoors. There are a few things that you can try that will help keep birds away. Winery's use shinny/silver like ribbons all around their vines to ward off birds and crows. I have heard that this is very effective in spooking them off. If you can get a steel like cage enclosure not screen (I have no idea where to get this myself so can't help) would be better. But that shinny/silver ribbons would be a good way idea.

One way to test it would be lay a bowl of birdseed out with the ribbons around and see just how effective it is in keeping them away..

Back
Top Bottom