Ousalet, or African Chameleon, or ???

wglyons

I just rescued two of these little guys this afternoon from a guy that can no longer care for them. He didn't know what they were, and initially, I thought they were veiled judging by the pics he sent. But now I believe they are either Ousalet or African Chameleons. Can anyone please help so I can make sure I care for them properly? I know this is something that should be done before hand, and I have done that with my Veiled and with my Panther...but I was concerned (especially for one of them) that they were not being cared for at all, so that's why I grabbed them and brought them home. The 4 crickets and 2 super worms I put in the cage lasted about 30 seconds. They seem a little dehydrated, so I good misting and a dripper were started STAT...

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!

Greg and Robin

Attachments

• Unknown.1.jpg
    Unknown.1.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 230
  • Unknown.2.jpg
    Unknown.2.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 223
Hi Greg and Robin,

They are Oustalet's chameleons (Furcifer oustaleti). Their care is very similar to that of panther chameleons. They have also been introduced to part of south Florida, which is why you are starting to see them fairly regularly in Florida now.

Chris

Fantastic!!! Thank you!

Can you tell me what (if any) difference there is between the Oustalet and the Spiny Chameleon. Are they they the same? I had someone else say they thought maybe it was a spiny...

Greg and Robin

Hi Greg and Robin,

Among other differences, Furcifer verrucosus have larger scales in the temporal region of the skull and males have larger conical scales on the dorsal crest.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom