Orange Stripes

natalie stipan

My cham has some orangish/ bronze stripes that recently have appeared and are very frequent, I was wondering if anyone knows what this means? He is a 6 month old Veiled.
Thanks!

Here’s a pic

Attachments

• 3012E618-C64D-4FB6-BCBC-A9D7F35ED498.jpeg
    3012E618-C64D-4FB6-BCBC-A9D7F35ED498.jpeg
    106.5 KB · Views: 107
Her casque looks as though it’s started to pull in. If you could kindly fill out these questions someone can review all of your husbandry and make sure all is correct. With a female it is more important that ever to have all be correct.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Can you take a few more pics of her from different angles? Is her throat consistently puffed out like that? Looks to have a slight bowing to the front arm as well... More pics would be helpful and I would suggest a husbandry review by filling out the form that @MissSkittles posted above.

Her casque looks as though it’s started to pull in. If you could kindly fill out these questions someone can review all of your husbandry and make sure all is correct. With a female it is more important that ever to have all be correct.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.

Chameleon Info:

Cage Info:

--------------

Please Note:

Estéban, have always thought he was a boy, which is what i was told when purchased him. He is 6 months old, I have had him for 3 months.
He is pretty friendly, usually when i hold my hand in his cage he runs towards it.
I feed him 8-9 crickets in the morning, and 7 wax worms at night.
I dust his food with calcium twice a week, the brand is Repti Calcium.
I have a drip system, a humidifier, and a spray bottle. The humidity is around 83%.
His droppings are brown, with small white droppings.
History, he had a respiratory problem, but was treated with medicine and he has fully recovered.
His cage is screen, measurements are 16x16x30
The temperature is 80-90 degrees, two thermometers are in his cage. Basking spot is 88-91 degrees, bottom of cage is 80-83 degrees
Humidity level is 80-85% there is a humidifier, drip system, and a spray bottle.
No live plants, just fake ones.
Located in the Pacific Northwest.
Concerned about the orange stripes, started showing about a week and a half ago. Very frequent.

Can you take a few more pics of her from different angles? Is her throat consistently puffed out like that? Looks to have a slight bowing to the front arm as well... More pics would be helpful and I would suggest a husbandry review by filling out the form that @MissSkittles posted above.

Attachments

• E5278B18-7B90-4E8D-9F93-5F481BA1CA5F.jpeg
    E5278B18-7B90-4E8D-9F93-5F481BA1CA5F.jpeg
    234.9 KB · Views: 91
  • 46EB5C99-6428-42DE-BF9F-0D5CF1BFBBA2.jpeg
    46EB5C99-6428-42DE-BF9F-0D5CF1BFBBA2.jpeg
    260.5 KB · Views: 92
Ok so you have a female and she is showing signs of edema and MBD.

Please post pics of the entire cage including the lights for us. And I need to know if your reptical says with D3 or if it says without D3.

@natalie stipan Please see my feedback in red bold.

Estéban, have always thought he was a boy, which is what i was told when purchased him. He is 6 months old, I have had him for 3 months. You have a female. She will lay infertile eggs like a chicken and will need a lay bin to do so.
He is pretty friendly, usually when i hold my hand in his cage he runs towards it.
I feed him 8-9 crickets in the morning, and 7 wax worms at night. Wax worms should not be fed to her at all as they are way to high in fat. She should be eating no more then 5 feeders every other day at this point. By the time she hits 10 months old she should only be eating 3-4 feeders 3 days a week. Feeding in the morning is best so they have the day to digest. Her crickets should be gutloaded see image.
I dust his food with calcium twice a week, the brand is Repti Calcium.. I need to know which one you are using... With D3 or Without D3. She should be getting Calcium NO D3 at all feedings except 2 times a month she should get calcium with D3 and 2 times a month she should have a multivitamin. THese two should be rotated week to week say on a saturday.
I have a drip system, a humidifier, and a spray bottle. The humidity is around 83%. Humidity is way too high. Should be bettwen 30-50% max. What are you using to measure the humidity. The humidifier should only be run at night when temps are coolest and there are no lights on.
History, he had a respiratory problem, but was treated with medicine and he has fully recovered.
His cage is screen, measurements are 16x16x30 You will need to upgrade cage size to accommodate a lay bin. 2x2x4
The temperature is 80-90 degrees, two thermometers are in his cage. Basking spot is 88-91 degrees, bottom of cage is 80-83 degrees Way too hot. You want it no hotter then 79 degrees at basking branch.
Humidity level is 80-85% there is a humidifier, drip system, and a spray bottle. too high see notes above.
No live plants, just fake ones. Live plants are better as Veileds eat their plants. Plastic are dangerous for them. Also live plants balance humidity levels. They give you a natural place to mist for her to drink as well.
Concerned about the orange stripes, started showing about a week and a half ago. Very frequent.

The orange could be her receptive phase... Are you seeing pale blue dots as well?

I highly recommend reading through every module in this link https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

She is showing signs of edema. I am betting your using calcium with D3 too much causing the edema in her throat. This will resolve once supplements are done correctly.
She is showing signs of MBD in her casque and her limbs. This is dangerous for females especially because they end up becoming egg bound when they try to lay. I recommend a visit to a reptile vet that actually knows about chameleons. She will need liquid calcium from the Vet to help stop the progression of the MBD> While she will always have the misformed casque and limbs at this point it is not at the point of disfiguring her and making her life even harder. But this progresses very quickly. MBD is caused by incorrect UVB Lighting. I am thinking your using a screw in UVB bulb and this is why. She needs a T5HO fixture with a 5.0 UVB bulb and then basking branch should be 9 inches below the fixture.

Dropping back your bulb wattage will lower temps or raising the fixture off the top of the cage.

@natalie stipan Please see my feedback in red bold.

Estéban, have always thought he was a boy, which is what i was told when purchased him. He is 6 months old, I have had him for 3 months. You have a female. She will lay infertile eggs like a chicken and will need a lay bin to do so.
I feed him 8-9 crickets in the morning, and 7 wax worms at night. Wax worms should not be fed to her at all as they are way to high in fat. She should be eating no more then 5 feeders every other day at this point. By the time she hits 10 months old she should only be eating 3-4 feeders 3 days a week. Feeding in the morning is best so they have the day to digest. Her crickets should be gutloaded see image.
I dust his food with calcium twice a week, the brand is Repti Calcium.. I need to know which one you are using... With D3 or Without D3. She should be getting Calcium NO D3 at all feedings except 2 times a month she should get calcium with D3 and 2 times a month she should have a multivitamin. THese two should be rotated week to week say on a saturday.
I have a drip system, a humidifier, and a spray bottle. The humidity is around 83%. Humidity is way too high. Should be bettwen 30-50% max. What are you using to measure the humidity. The humidifier should only be run at night when temps are coolest and there are no lights on.
His cage is screen, measurements are 16x16x30 You will need to upgrade cage size to accommodate a lay bin. 2x2x4
The temperature is 80-90 degrees, two thermometers are in his cage. Basking spot is 88-91 degrees, bottom of cage is 80-83 degrees Way too hot. You want it no hotter then 79 degrees at basking branch.
Humidity level is 80-85% there is a humidifier, drip system, and a spray bottle. too high see notes above.
No live plants, just fake ones. Live plants are better as Veileds eat their plants. Plastic are dangerous for them. Also live plants balance humidity levels. They give you a natural place to mist for her to drink as well.

The orange could be her receptive phase... Are you seeing pale blue dots as well?

I highly recommend reading through every module in this link https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

She is showing signs of edema. I am betting your using calcium with D3 too much causing the edema in her throat. This will resolve once supplements are done correctly.
She is showing signs of MBD in her casque and her limbs. This is dangerous for females especially because they end up becoming egg bound when they try to lay. I recommend a visit to a reptile vet that actually knows about chameleons. She will need liquid calcium from the Vet to help stop the progression of the MBD> While she will always have the misformed casque and limbs at this point it is not at the point of disfiguring her and making her life even harder. But this progresses very quickly. MBD is caused by incorrect UVB Lighting. I am thinking your using a screw in UVB bulb and this is why. She needs a T5HO fixture with a 5.0 UVB bulb and then basking branch should be 9 inches below the fixture.

Dropping back your bulb wattage will lower temps or raising the fixture off the top of the cage.
Thank you SO much. That is all extremely helpful.

Thank you SO much. That is all extremely helpful.
Let us know if you have questions... That husbandry link I gave you will walk you through every single aspect of the correct care and what she needs to be healthy.

If she is in fact in her receptive phase then the next to come are eggs. So making sure temps, food, supplementation, lighting, and correcting the MBD will be extremely important for her. Or she will not make it through laying her eggs.

Here is some additional info on lay bins. You do not need anything tremendously deep. 6 inches is fine 12x12 or slightly smaller. A long plastic bin works really well.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/egg-laying-and-the-laying-bin.345/

https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/laying-bin-set-up-educational-video.77225/

Here is the gutloading image I was talking about for your feeders. You can also get repashy bug burger to mix for your feeders if fresh veg is a bit too much at this point. I know this is a ton of information.

chameleon-gutload.jpg

Back
Top Bottom