Orange panther

Kent67

Retired Moderator
Anyone know any locality info on this?

orange_panther_chameleon.gif

Ahahhh, Trace is right. Definitely appears to be a male Furcifer Angeli, though I have only seen photos of males with much more prominent rostral protrusions than this one. Chris A. has some photos he took during his trip to Madagascar, perhaps he could share them here for comparison as well.

Seriously? Besides the rostral process, even the shape of the casque is different. By the way, these are the photos ascribed to angeli on Adcham.

FurciferAngeliM1.JPG

FurciferAngeliM2.JPG

FurciferAngeliM4.JPG

Last edited:
Hmmm Kent. I actually didn't notice the difference in the orbital Crest. Good point. Problem is, that points proof is so strong that it pretty much eliminates Angeli from the possible. The mystery deepens.

IT also looks angeli to me based on some other pics i have seen in books ect, i think the one you posted has a big nose but iv seen pics of them with smaller more juvinal noses that look very much like pardalis from a distance. im guessing angeli but if it is a panther its an ugly ass tamatave!

This is most definitely a Furcifer pardalis. I can't tell you which locale but it isn't F. angeli. Here are a couple pics of a male F. angeli that I took:

23k91sg.jpg

65zrdc.jpg

28khqhe.jpg

Chris

I spoke with Bill love about this particular specimen and photo. Heres the first thing he had to say, and although it doesn't really apply in this case, unless there are metals leeching from the sediment, the panther fell in a puddle of red soil, or fell into some dusty dirt.

Hi Will, Oct. 5, 2007

I can't claim to be an expert on every variation of pardalis. I've not seen
any wild specimens like that, but I saw a captive once that was burnt orange
like that due to heavy iron / rust in the water that was used to rain on it
in its outdoor pen. If that was the case here, possibly it accumulates that
tinge at one end of its cage where the water soaks it daily??? Any chance
that could be the cause?

- Bill​

I'll be sure to report back to bill with the info that this is a wild specimen and so this would not be possible, or not likely at all. I didn't offer any information the first round.

Back
Top Bottom