opinions on 5.0 vs 10.0

ChromaChameleons

Hi All.... I just ordered 12 x 48" zoomed reptisun 5.0s and got a case of 10.0s instead. They aren't my preference, but , has anyone used 10.0s and had acceptable results or should I return the case?

opinions please....

Zoo med 10.0 bulbs are quite a bit stronger. Totally depends on what chameleons you are using the bulbs on, what types of cages you have them in (how they filter the light), and a few other factors. For Panthers - I usually recommend 5.0's unless they are in reptarium mesh cages (they filter quite a bit out) and don't see the outside direct sunlight for most of the year. My guess is, if you wanted 5.0 bulbs, and got 10.0 bulbs, you should exchange them out. Was it us at LLL that sent you the wrong bulbs? I would prefer to correct our inventory if by any chance we made the mistake :) If not, don't forget that we always have a low price guarantee if you are shopping around on stuff like that (yeah, shameful plug). Hope that helps a bit!

Scott
www.LLLReptile.com

Great post by sponsor....

That was a great post by our sponsor. What are you lighting? Tall adult cages or smaller Juvie cages. I use Reptisun 10.0 tubes on all my adult cages. I use the 5.0 on my babies, juvies and Crested Geckos. I would imagine though, that who ever sent you these bulbs would pay to have them shipped back and send you the right bulbs promptly. I buy mine by the case too and that's a lot of money. Get what you need. Don't try to make what you got work...

They are intended for adult Panthers. I have a UVB meter and the 10.0 do throw about twice the UVB.

I usually use old 5.0s for the juvis and babies, throwing 5- 15 uW/cm2 @ 6 inches.

Last edited:
To Return or not?

Well, I guess it's up to you if you want to keep them. If you have a meter and have adults to use them on you can arrange your cage branches, etc. for the right exposure. Too bad I don't live near you. I'd come over and buy the entire case from you. I have to buy six dozen of them in varying sizes every 6 months to keep up with them. I always keep extra between swap outs because some just go bad before the six months. It' not good if you need the 5.0 for babies and juvies. That's what I use for them too. 10.0's are too much for sure. Darn expensive too no matter what pricing you get!

I called the supplier and they will cover shipping to return the 10.0s and resend the order correctly. Shame for them to incur the cost , but these 10.0s just are too strong for my liking.

it would probably be the bulb to use if somebody was keeping c. namaquensis, but it seems a bit much for most other varieties, jmo

Hi Harry,

What readings are you getting thru the screens? (I mean already installed on above your cages)

I think chameleons get way more UVB than what the 5.0 can out put, even more than a 10.0, and if the light is only covering say a 3rd of the cage, the chameleon should have room to move and regulate the UVB as required.

I think chameleons get way more UVB than what the 5.0 can out put, even more than a 10.0, and if the light is only covering say a 3rd of the cage, the chameleon should have room to move and regulate the UVB as required.

The issue is, will they move out of the light routinely before they develop problems? In the wild even under "true" sunlight that is more intense, most chams are spending relatively little time in full sun. Most of the time they are under canopy where the food is.

I have a 4x2x2 lllreptile screen enclosure and I'm using a reptisun 10.0 because they were $4 at petco. I have a ton of foliage so that he is able to cover himself if he needs to and I haven't had a problem with it. I think as long as its in a big cage then it will be fine.

I got two reptisun 10.0's at petco to try them out and one ended up being burnt out and the other was a glass aquarium fish bulb in a zoo med package. I was furious and they replaced the bulbs with working, real reptisun 10.0's I now have those bulbs on my free ranges and have since gotten two more for atop my 8ft tall adult male panther cages. I plan on switching all the bulbs for the super tall cages to 10.0's just because they reach farther and the chams have many spots to pick the right UVB level for them. But I love them so far, I just wouldn't use them on smaller cages, like a 4ft tall cage unless the screen was very fine. But overall a good bulb for big enclosures or freeranges:)

Justin

I have been useing 10.0 for over a year on my panthers. i put them to the front or back of the screen cages so they can get away from the light. they seem to like to bask under them for a couple hours and then move. they seem to have better color to them after i went to the 10.0.

$4.00?

I have a 4x2x2 lllreptile screen enclosure and I'm using a reptisun 10.0 because they were $4 at petco. I have a ton of foliage so that he is able to cover himself if he needs to and I haven't had a problem with it. I think as long as its in a big cage then it will be fine.

You got a Reptisun 10.0 Tube light for $4.00 at Petco?

Back
Top Bottom