ootheca

JackRipper

Avid Member
I am plagued with soil gnats every fall/spring in my chameleons enclosures so I breed mantids as pest control/ feeders, I hang egg cases in each of my enclosures once hatched they fatten up fairly quickly and are a excellent food source for my chams. I've only had a few reach 3/4 inches but they disappear quickly due to the hungry lizards. I breed the survivor's in hopes of making a breed of super mantid lol. I have one very observant male veiled chameleon that sees the egg sack and charges toward it chomping the unhached sack so he has to wait until they are hatched separately.

I was having the same problem and my husband yelled at me one day to deal with the little flies or he’s leaving me. Apple cider vinegar solved my problem. I placed a few jars around the house and next to the huge problem areas and within a week problem was gone

I was having the same problem and my husband yelled at me one day to deal with the little flies or he’s leaving me. Apple cider vinegar solved my problem. I placed a few jars around the house and next to the huge problem areas and within a week problem was gone

Lol I know the frustration of having little gnats fly up your nose then having the subconscious itch thinking they've layed eggs in your nostrils whilst asleep and now little worms have hatched and are wriggling around in there. I've made traps and they do help, adding the mantids made a noticeable difference. I threw every natural way possible at them I now have several carnivorous plants as well on the window seals

Sundews. Sit them outside the cage on a window(if possible) Better than any other method. I had an insane infestation, the ACV, stickies, etc did nothing to even put a dent in it. 3 good sized sundews took almost all of them out in a week(and they grew insanely fast from that lol).

Mantids are a great idea though, if that's working for you, no problems with that!

Sundews. Sit them outside the cage on a window(if possible) Better than any other method. I had an insane infestation, the ACV, stickies, etc did nothing to even put a dent in it. 3 good sized sundews took almost all of them out in a week(and they grew insanely fast from that lol).

Mantids are a great idea though, if that's working for you, no problems with that!

Hey brother James, I've got one sun dew and 2 pitcher plants, I have a large potted 3 yr old VFT out back I took a few of the smaller seedlings and posted them up in the window seals as well. You are correct the sun dew is the ultimate gnat eater. It's like one of those online Turret games lol

Back
Top Bottom