Oh, them wacky pygmies

hallenhe

Avid Member
A rambling, and perhaps pointless, description of Life with Baby Brevs.
A synopsis: I found two August 7, one August 10 and four more August 28. The first one I found couldn't move his hind legs; he clambered about using his forefeet for a few days, but went downhill and didn't make it. The others are doing fine. All six were put in the same cage; this worked well for a little under a week, everybody climbing up into the plant at night and foraging around in the day, but one guy ceased climbing up into the plant at night, stayed on the floor and was dark (unhappy?) colors. I watched him long enough to see larger siblings crawl over him and sit on him, and removed him to his own domicile, where he is now climbing happily up and down, secure of his own bug supply in his own deli cup. He's lived alone for ten days now.
One morning I came downstairs and found three pygmies piled together in the corner of the cage. When I came back twenty minutes later to feed them, the pile had dispersed, but now one pyg was hanging from the very tip of a leaf by one hind foot and the tail, and another was clinging to the first one's head with his forefeet, and otherwise dangling. I rescued them, then was stuck waiting patiently for two Very Small Animals, one on each forefinger, to decide they'd rather be on their plant.
It takes them awhile to sort out the dispositions for the night: there'll be two on one leaf, one on an adjacent leaf, and one as far away as he can get from the rest. Then somebody will walk across somebody else. Then someone's on the top of the leaf blade and somebody else is mirroring him on the bottom.
It seems to me that brevs have tongues much longer than their bodies, and it's always somewhat surprising to watch them (babies and adults) shoot at things that I would have judged far too far away - and catch them.

Back
Top Bottom