Nursing a hibiscus back to health

Thompson

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hello, I currently have a hibiscus that hasdropped all of it's leaves and is just growing buds now. Are there anyways that I could get it to grow leaves and not just buds faster?

I'm no gardener, lol, but I would probably remove the buds so the plant can concentrate on growing it's leaves (I know that's the case with Coleus). I have a small hibiscus that is not in a cage at the moment, and it lost everything, to the point that I thought it had died, but I started watering it again and it's sprung back to life and is growing leaves aplenty!

I had the same problem with mine. I used a product called "seagro" which is a sea weed based fertilizer. I mixed 5ml per litre of water and watered the plant with it twice a month. The good thing with this product is that there is no risk of burning the plant as it is organic.....

We get this product in South Africa but you might not get it overseas so i suggest you look for an equivalent see weed based fertiliser:)

Like Miss Lily, I try to disbud a weak plant and get it back to making leaves. I put mine in the most sunny window I have. I give them a little water every day and a big watering with fertilizer once a week.

We do have a fertilizer here called Sea Grow. We also have a ton of others; I like MaxSea acid formula for hibiscus (our tap water is a bit alkaline).

They are "heavy feeders" as we say of plants that require more nutrients to perform well. Lots of light, lots of water, lots of food; they're just big ol pigs. Pretty, but piggy.

Back
Top Bottom