Nosy Faly Panther Chameleon Enclosure

Sky11

I'm getting a baby male Nosy Faly panther chameleon and my enclosure is 24"x18"x36". Do you think I'll have to upgrade to a larger cage when he becomes an adult?

Hello and welcome to the forums! The fact that you're reaching out shows that you already care for your little tree dragon.

That size will be okay for a little while. For adults though the minimum recommended size is 2' x 2' x 4'. I would highly recommend reading the program linked below. There is a TON of very useful information from a very experienced breeder.

https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-basics/

You can also get some great information from the resources tab here on the forum.

It sounds like you haven't received your chameleon yet. Are you getting them from a breeder, pet store, or individual? I would recommend filling as much of the following out in advance and ask members here on the forum for feedback.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Hello and welcome to the forums! The fact that you're reaching out shows that you already care for your little tree dragon.

That size will be okay for a little while. For adults though the minimum recommended size is 2' x 2' x 4'. I would highly recommend reading the program linked below. There is a TON of very useful information from a very experienced breeder.

https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-basics/

You can also get some great information from the resources tab here on the forum.

It sounds like you haven't received your chameleon yet. Are you getting them from a breeder, pet store, or individual? I would recommend filling as much of the following out in advance and ask members here on the forum for feedback.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
I bought him from a breeder but they said they would hold him for me until I finished my setup. My problem is where I live in the winter is very dry and cold so I had to get a hybrid cage and can't find any bigger than the one that's supposed to come in the mail tomorrow that is 24"x18"x36".

I bought him from a breeder but they said they would hold him for me until I finished my setup. My problem is where I live in the winter is very dry and cold so I had to get a hybrid cage and can't find any bigger than the one that's supposed to come in the mail tomorrow that is 24"x18"x36".

You can buy a hybrid cage such as Dragon Strand. You could also convert a screen cage by wrapping shower curtain around one or two of the sides to help hold in humidity: it's not as pretty but it worked for me. Others have gone the total DIY route and have made impressive custom cages. Do you know what the humidity level in your house is during the winter? Live plants are also great to help hold in the humidity as well.

You can buy a hybrid cage such as Dragon Strand. You could also convert a screen cage by wrapping shower curtain around one or two of the sides to help hold in humidity: it's not as pretty but it worked for me. Others have gone the total DIY route and have made impressive custom cages. Do you know what the humidity level in your house is during the winter? Live plants are also great to help hold in the humidity as well.
I'm not sure about the humidity level in my house but I actually recently just found a 2x2x4 pvc hybrid cage so I might get that if I can't find anything bigger. Otherwise I was planning on making my own cage when my chameleon is a bit older and I had the time and was more experienced probably in a year or 2.

I also have bought a lot of live plants that are safe for chameleons! Thanks so much for all your feedback its been very helpful!

I'm not sure about the humidity level in my house but I actually recently just found a 2x2x4 pvc hybrid cage so I might get that if I can't find anything bigger. Otherwise I was planning on making my own cage when my chameleon is a bit older and I had the time and was more experienced probably in a year or 2.

The cage you purchased will be fine for about 6-8 months. After that you will most likely need to get a minimum of a 2x2x4 home for your little tree dragon.

It's going to be important to have accurate readings for the humidity and temperature. There are relatively inexpensive sensors on Amazon that do both and have a wire (to accurately place in the basking spot). I purchased two, one to monitor the humidity/temperature at the top for the warmest basking spot, then one at the bottom for the lowest temperature.

The temperature gradient is what is most important here so the chameleons can regulate their own temperature.

I also have bought a lot of live plants that are safe for chameleons! Thanks so much for all your feedback its been very helpful!

Live plants are the best! Fantastic.

I would still highly recommend filling out the info I listed above so we may offer advice and feedback. There are many many very experienced chameleons keepers on this forum who love to help. It sounds like you are doing a ton of great research and being proactive. There are a ton of nuances and little details to set up the proper home for these incredible animals. Can't wait to see the progress!

The cage you purchased will be fine for about 6-8 months. After that you will most likely need to get a minimum of a 2x2x4 home for your little tree dragon.

It's going to be important to have accurate readings for the humidity and temperature. There are relatively inexpensive sensors on Amazon that do both and have a wire (to accurately place in the basking spot). I purchased two, one to monitor the humidity/temperature at the top for the warmest basking spot, then one at the bottom for the lowest temperature.

The temperature gradient is what is most important here so the chameleons can regulate their own temperature.

Live plants are the best! Fantastic.

I would still highly recommend filling out the info I listed above so we may offer advice and feedback. There are many many very experienced chameleons keepers on this forum who love to help. It sounds like you are doing a ton of great research and being proactive. There are a ton of nuances and little details to set up the proper home for these incredible animals. Can't wait to see the progress!
I bought one humidity and temp reader and a temp gun should I buy another thermometer and hygrometer? Also I will fill out that info eventually.

I bought one humidity and temp reader and a temp gun should I buy another thermometer and hygrometer? Also I will fill out that info eventually.

Those two should be fine. I would recommend the persistent hydrometer/thermometer near the basking spot, then use the temp gun to monitor the temperature gradient around the cage.

The form is not only good for troubleshooting and improving, but also planning. You may not be able to fill out every single detail but you could still share what you're PLANNING for the sections: Feeding, Supplements, Watering, Cage Type, Lighting, and Plants.

Ideally these things are planned out and good to go when your chameleon arrives. There's a 2-5 day adjustment period they typically go through in a new habitat and the less you're messing with all of the components that make up their home the better.

See if you can fill out as much as you can :) We would love to help you out!

For example, a common best practice is to avoid the compact UVB bulbs and instead get the long linear T5 UVB bulbs. Reptisun T5 5.0 or Arcadia T5 6% are usually the go to bulbs. This is because the smaller compact bulbs to no give enough UVB output sufficient enough for a chameleon.

Here's an entire article on just which types of lights work best with chameleons and how far away each type should be from the top of the cage. Most importantly, it also talks about why.

https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-cage-set-up-replicating-the-sun/

These are the things that we could help you out with if we know a bit more info!

I would go for the bigger cage right off the bat because they grow quick but sounds like you have already purchased. Yes you will need a larger enclosure so if you are going to build your own just remember the bigger the better.?

For example, a common best practice is to avoid the compact UVB bulbs and instead get the long linear T5 UVB bulbs. Reptisun T5 5.0 or Arcadia T5 6% are usually the go to bulbs. This is because the smaller compact bulbs to no give enough UVB output sufficient enough for a chameleon.

Here's an entire article on just which types of lights work best with chameleons and how far away each type should be from the top of the cage. Most importantly, it also talks about why.

https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-cage-set-up-replicating-the-sun/

These are the things that we could help you out with if we know a bit more info!
ya ok ill fill it out based on what I already have and what's coming in the mail still. I did get the Arcadis T5 6%!

I would go for the bigger cage right off the bat because they grow quick but sounds like you have already purchased. Yes you will need a larger enclosure so if you are going to build your own just remember the bigger the better.?
Ya I bought the bigger one now and returned the other one! If I do make my own later on it's definitely going to be bigger! Thank you for the feedback

2x2x4 hybrid or otherwise is fine for adult panthers, veileds, Jackson's and many other species.
What a lot of new owners don't realize is how fast these little buggers grow, so starting with a smaller enclosure is really (IMO) a waste of time & resources.

If you have the skills & wherewithal to build your own, I think you'll find it very rewarding. Lots of ideas & experience here (this forum). A general guideline with any reptile is to provide the largest enclosure/habitat you can afford. ;)

I like the guidelines suggested here: Reptile Housing: Size, Dimension and Lifestyle

Back
Top Bottom