NewVeiled baby and some questions

I'm sure this has all been asked before but I can't seem to find the answers. I got a baby Veiled today named Clarance. Evidently its a girl tho after doing more research. I temp have her in a 20 gal high until we move in 5 weeks. I'm planning on getting the mesh tall cage at petsmart then.

My questions are these.....

1. I got a uvb bulb and put it in my light strip from the aquarium. Its turns off every 10 minutes. Is this the wrong kind of light strip? Its the right size but maybe the wattage is funny? Its a repti glo 5.0 18 inch bulb. I have a 75 watt basking with clamp lamp. I also got a 75 watt red night light with clamp lamp since my room tends to be cool. Is this all ample lighting? I guess I'm going back to the store tonight to get the coiled 5.0 uvb and the light strip that goes with it. I thought if I used the strip I had for my fish and just changed the bulb it woud be better since it went the whole legnth. Just isn't working right tho.

2. Since she is female, are the colors more dull or the same as males? All the pics I see are of males.

3. Her body is the legnth of my thumb. I'm thinking she will prob eat 5-8 small crickets a day???

1 You've got the correct UV bulb. Either the fixture is malfunctioning or you've got the bulb installed incorrectly. DO NOT USE coil type UV bulbs, they only cause eye problems.

A nightlight is not needed. Nightime temperatures should be around 65*F
Ambient daytime temps for juvi veiled should be about 75*F with a basking temperature of 80-82*F. That 75W heat bulb is likely to much for her.

2 Her colouration will be duller than most males, but females will still have patterning as adults, just not as bright. at her age she should be a fairly consistent green throughout with cream or white patches on her sides.

3 How long is your thumb? Or better yet do you know the age?

For cages, a decent size for a female is 24"x24"x36", though 48" high is better. I suggest something like this: http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog...een/-/24-x-24-x-48-inch-aluminum-screen-cage/

Or if you're handy, you can build your own. Enclosures should be screened.

Keep the humidity around 50%, no water dishes, keep it clean and you should be set.

Last edited:
The sooner you get a mesh cage the better. Aquariums are not a good thing for chameleons. The 5.0 18" UVB is exactly what you want-NO COMPACTS-they cause eye issues. Not sure why it is turning off every 10 minutes-something must be wrong with your fixture. It is essential that you have a digital thermometer with a probe. You need to know your temps. It sounds like you have a very young cham-so temps should be no higher than 80 in the basking spot and the rest of the cage should be room temp-low to mid 70's. You can use a regular household lightbulb in the clamp lamp-red bulbs are not good. You do NOT need night heat unless temps are dropping below 60 at night. Babies generally look the same, and at 3-4 months males will start getting more "pattern-y". If it has little bumps on the back of it's feet/heels, it is male, otherwise female.

Here is something I recently added to my website:http://www.julirschameleons.com/thepetstoreproblem.htm

Many aquraiums are t-8 and t-5 type fixtures. though I don't use repti-glow, my reptisun is t12.
The ballast powering the light (often in the fixture) needs to be able to power that t12 (if I'm correct) bulb, of that wattage.

Back
Top Bottom