newbie...

Redmuzza

Good evening guys. Have just purchased a 12 month old male panther chameleon in good health. My vivarium is a similar bio to what he was in, and the previous owner said he is hand fed with locusts and worms. Obviously he was a bit peeved about being transported and put in a new environment, but at what point should i start worrying about him not eating. He was last fed 6 days ago when we bought him, and he is still shy and pretty much staying at the top of the viv. I have put a couple of locusts in the viv but he is not interested or is it because he has been hand fed. Any advice much appreciated.
Cheers Pete

Good evening guys. Have just purchased a 12 month old male panther chameleon in good health. My vivarium is a similar bio to what he was in, and the previous owner said he is hand fed with locusts and worms. Obviously he was a bit peeved about being transported and put in a new environment, but at what point should i start worrying about him not eating. He was last fed 6 days ago when we bought him, and he is still shy and pretty much staying at the top of the viv. I have put a couple of locusts in the viv but he is not interested or is it because he has been hand fed. Any advice much appreciated.
Cheers Pete
Pretty sure it’s not to much reason to worry till it’s like 2 or 3 weeks, maybe even longer though. If he is a healthy weight he should be good for a couple weeks even refusing all food

Hi there and welcome. Can you please take a pic of the entire enclosure lights down and include a few of the chameleon?

Attachments

• 20200828_174945.jpg
    20200828_174945.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 76
  • 20200828_174921.jpg
    20200828_174921.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 71
Yes, but the 25w ones.
So this is where you will run into issues with him developing health issues due to mbd. These have a very limited distance right below the bulb. Unless the cham is sitting in the perfect place they will develop MBD.

Last edited:
Thanks Beman will get the light sorted ?
Your welcome. And if you do get pics of the cham that is helpful. I would recommend for that enclosure a t5HO fixture with a 5.0 or 6% bulb and then have your basking no closer then 9 inches directly below the bulb for an approximate 3 UVI level. :) He may be hiding and not eating due to the lack of uvb or even just the move to the new enclosure.

If you want to ensure you were given the correct info for him then fill this out with detail for us.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Your welcome. And if you do get pics of the cham that is helpful. I would recommend for that enclosure a t5HO fixture with a 5.0 or 6% bulb and then have your basking no closer then 9 inches directly below the bulb for an approximate 3 UVI level. :) He may be hiding and not eating due to the lack of uvb or even just the move to the new enclosure.

If you want to ensure you were given the correct info for him then fill this out with detail for us.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Meet Boris...

Attachments

• 20200828_193838.jpg
    20200828_193838.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 76
Meet Boris...
Hi Boris... Ok since he can get quite high in that enclosure I am changing my recommendation on UVB. Your going to want a T8 linear fixture and a 10.0 T8 UVB bulb. This should run the width of your enclosure. A little overhang is fine as well. But this would put basking below it at 5 inches. And will also reduce temperature output with your glass enclosure.

What are you running for heat bulbs?

It's a 250w ceramic bulb, set at 32 degrees daytime and 21 night.
Ok this is a Very high risk for thermal burns.... Way too hot. You want no hotter then 29 daytime. And no heat at all at night. Unless it gets below 10 degrees C. in your home they need the night time cool down cycle. If you put your hand under this fixture where your chameleon sits and it is hot to you then it will be very hot to you and mean thermal burn risk. I personally do not like ceramic bulbs. Since no heat is on during the night then a simple incandescent 60 watt bulb is just fine.
I highly recommend that link I gave you for the husbandry program it will go through every single detail you should know about. also here is your species specific info. https://chameleonacademy.com/panther-chameleon-care/

Have dropped temp to 28 and put a T8 tube on. Has been more sociable today and took two worms by hand tonight. Progress made ?
Making progress, I was about to say that if he has been hand fed exclusively then it may take awhile for him to gain enough trust in a new face and surroundings. Should be fine.?

Making progress, I was about to say that if he has been hand fed exclusively then it may take awhile for him to gain enough trust in a new face and surroundings. Should be fine.?
Yeah, have had a couple of locusts in the viv for a couple of days which he has totally ignored. Would have thought if he was hungry he would have made an attempt to catch them.

Back
Top Bottom