newbie question ! {sorry!}

martinbigmac

just got my first lizard,shes a lovely wee veiled ! but i cant get her to eat anything other than live food, she is quite happy up top and wont come down,so i move her to the bottom beside her feeding dish, but she just shoots right back up again and ignores the greens etc !ive suspended a feeding dish beside her basking spot as well , but its getting ignored !

will she get the hang of it? , ive only had her a week ,

thanks, in advance and regards to all !

just got my first lizard,shes a lovely wee veiled ! but i cant get her to eat anything other than live food, she is quite happy up top and wont come down,so i move her to the bottom beside her feeding dish, but she just shoots right back up again and ignores the greens etc !ive suspended a feeding dish beside her basking spot as well , but its getting ignored !

will she get the hang of it? , ive only had her a week ,

thanks, in advance and regards to all !

Hi just here to give you alittle help. Veild chameleons are mainly tree dwellers as all chams. So live crickets is a must, Although Veilds have been seen eating an occasional leaf off a live plant in there cage there mainly live cricket eaters. You might want to try and do some research on this forum and other sites for the care and feeding of a Veild Chameleon.
Hope this will help you.
Thanks

I'm not sure, but I've heard that young veiled cam. don't always go for the fruit & vegetables until they are a little older. I just recently got mine and I offered some blueberries but she also ignored them. I'm going to try again today with something else. Good luck!:)

For my experience, when Veiled Chameleon they wont start feeding on fruits and vegetables when they are about 5-6 months of age. Maybe the basking spot is not warm enough for the little guy, thats why he is always on top of the cage. Or maybe, the little guys is not used to its new cage thats why it is wondering around the top of the cage. Soon, it will start to feed. My found out that if the feeding dish is placed too high up...they chameleon wont feed. Then, i try to place the suspended feeding dish almost at the bottom of the cage and then it start eating.

I have a few veileds that I have never successfully got to eat plant matter other than a few bites taked out of the pothos in their cages. I have some that will strip their plants bare and will take any greens offered. I think it just depends on the chameleon itself :)

I would keep offering them, they may change their mind.. you never know.

newbie question!

Congrats on your new baby! It's hard not to fret over everything. Read everything you can. You can search this site by topic. I would not worry too much about fruit and veggies yet. Young ones seem to need the protein in things like crickets at first. Make sure your baby has enough of those. She is likely to stay on the top area in the beginning too. This is normal. In the wild they are safer up there than on the ground. Its instinct. At some point she will start to feel safe and discover that crickets will hang out near the bottom. Then she will start traveling downwards to search for them. Later you can try veggies. My male Veiled eats greens. My female won't touch them. They are both adults. Please post a picture of your girl and her cage if you can :)

Back
Top Bottom