newbie on how to keep crickets in cage

threelilkids

Sorry I didn't give more info, never done this before but I'll learn. I was going to use screen on the cage but read this is not strong enough for an outside cage. The cage is going on my deck outside. It is made of coated wire. It is 3'x3'x6', my veiled chameleon is 3mons old an will be here on Wed. I ordered him from Flcham. I live in La. It is in the 70 at night and 94 on a cool day. I don't know what a feeding cup is, so I'll look it up. Thanks for your help. I worked @ a pet shop but after reading all the stuff out there, I can tell you we didn't give the cham the proper care. We never fed or dusted the crickets just threw them in. All this is making me scared to own one I don't want him to die. Mary

the number 1 thing that i think kills chams is owners who just dont care. People tend to think they know everything and wont take advice untill their cham is on their death bed. You seem to be intrested in doing reasearch so i suggest today if you have time do as much reasearch as you can. Would it hurt to ask you for a pic of your enclosure? :)

That size cage sounds too big for a 3mth old cham. It might be better to start him off in a smaller enclosure at first and move him into that one when he's a bit larger.

If it is 94 degrees on a cool day, the hot days may be too much for him. Are you going to put the enclosure in a place where the cham can find shade if necessary? A patio umbrella or a lot of plants in the enclosure itself can provide adequate shade to prevent the cham from over heating.

A feeding cup can be any container you use to put the crickets/feeders in for your cham to eat. Some people attach it to the cage close to the chams basking spot so it's easily seen, others prefer to hold the container and let the cham eat out of it. Try both and see what your cham prefers :)

Thanks, I'm tring to cram all info in my head, and started to take lots of notes, and I don't even have the cham yet he comes in two days, CAN'T WAIT. I'll send a pic later. I'm going to build another cage (smaller) I'll send pics on both. I do have a shade spot picked out. I work at home so can keep a eye on him all day, to be on the safe side. Thanks again, Mary

Back
Top Bottom