new to chams and would like advice

josh585

hi im new to chams but not reptiles and i would really like to get into them but not sure about how big my first enclosure should be and what types of plants i should put in it what type of lights i should get and so on. please help me

Hi, and welcome! The size of enclosure is going to depend on the animal (bigger or smaller species, adult or juvenile). Chameleons (with the exception of pygmy chameleons) are arboreal, and will want a vertical enclosure, rather than horizontal, with lots to climb on. Live plants are best - Schefflera (umbrella plant), Pothos, Ficus and Hibiscus are popular cham-friendly plants; check out the live plant database for more info. Plants should be washed and repotted before use, in case of pesticides, and generally the soil is covered over with river rocks or something similar to keep the chameleon from ingesting it. Chameleons like a lot of air flow and fairly high humidity; screen cages are preferred; EcoTerra is one popular brand; some of our sponsors (LLL Reptile, Screameleons) sell cages and you can get a feel for what's out there. Many people make their own, and there are many threads on the enclosures forum on doing so, with lots of pictures and sometimes step-by-stem assembly info.
Chameleons need UV-B; linear RepitSun 5.0 is a popular light. Some compact fluorescent UV-B lamps have caused lasting problems (e.g. blinding), so linear are generally preferred; mercury vapor UV-B lamps also work; they provide heat as well, and eliminate the need for a separate basking lamp, but can get quite warm and I wouldn't set one right on top of a cage. The most usual thing is to use a regular 60W incandescent to provide supplementary heat (basking spot around 85-88 F for a veiled or panther). Nighttime heat lamps are not used.
Watering is trickier for chameleons than for many other lizards, as they don't understand standing water and most will not drink from a dish. A drip system (can be as simple as a plastic bottle with a small hole in it, se on top of the cage) coupled with misting (anything from a fancy automated mist system - MistKing is one popular brand - to spritzing the lizard by hand with a plant mister for several minutes a couple times a day) is necessary.
Raising Kitty, a blog by one of our members, goes into a lot more depth on pretty much everything you'd need to know for a veiled chameleon. General husbandry for panthers is pretty similar, in terms of feeding, housing and temperatures. Some species, like Jackson's, are cooler temperature animals and will have different humidity requirements.
Look around, see what's out there and what kind of chameleon you want, and don't hesitate to ask more questions! If you let us know what you're getting and post pictures of your set-up before you get the chameleon, we can help you make sure you've got everything in good shape to give the animal the best.

Back
Top Bottom