New to Chameleons and worried

NewChammy

I am new to Chameleon keeping, definitely have to say keeping snakes was much simpler haha. Am a little concerned about my little man. He has shed recently, about a week/week and a half ago, but is still looking grey/white at times. Is that normal at all? I'm working out what he will eat, he's mostly on crickets. He wont eat locusts despite being appropriate size, I'm guessing they're too quick for him? He's enjoying mealworms but isn't eating as much since I've added mealworms, I'm not sure if that's normal either. He's pooping well and still eats. I have nutrobol for him and have been reading a lot of conflicting things, so if anyone can give me sound advice I would be most grateful. I try to avoid handling Yoshi at the moment as I have only had him for about a month now. Please help, I don't want him to suffer. I may be a paranoid new chammy mom but I'd rather be paranoid than sorry.

Veiled Chameleon. Oh dear, I hadn't realised. Is there better alternatives I can give him?

Attachments

• 20200701_115742.jpg
    20200701_115742.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 80
  • 20200701_115726.jpg
    20200701_115726.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 72
If you fill out is this form we can help you and your chameleon have the best time possible.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

1. Veiled chameleon in my care approx a month. Unsure of age, I think about 5/6 months old? Male.

2. Currently not handling as so new to my care and environment.

3. Feeding crickets mostly, between 20 and 30 a day. Last week or so introduced mealworms, but now stopped, at about 10 per day.

4. Vetark Nutrobal high calcium balancer and multivitamin/mineral support.

5. Currently misting up to 6 times a day, using a fake collection of leaves for him to drink from to which I have seen him use to drink from.

6. Fecal waste has been normal according to the pictures on the thread pooping 101 on this forum sight.

The pot you see has small amount of water in to help ensure appropriate humidity levels. It is a mesh roof, the little humbug enjoys walking across it. Plans for more things to climb around on is in the works, I wanted to be sure he was eating and such before giving too many places to hide from me.

Lighting is an Arcadia solar basking spotlight, with 2 uvb 7% bulbs for his other lighting source. Ambient temperature in coldest part is 80°f minimum. Basking spot is about 110°f measured with small round exoterra thermometer.

K this will be a lot of information for you. my feedback is in red.
1. Veiled chameleon in my care approx a month. Unsure of age, I think about 5/6 months old? Male.

2. Currently not handling as so new to my care and environment.

3. Feeding crickets mostly, between 20 and 30 a day. Last week or so introduced mealworms, but now stopped, at about 10 per day. 20 - 30 crickets a day?! that is too much. crickets are fine, but only feed him like 4-5 times every other day. No mealworms they are unhealthy

4. Vetark Nutrobal high calcium balancer and multivitamin/mineral support. I've never heard of Vetark does it have d3?

5. Currently misting up to 6 times a day, using a fake collection of leaves for him to drink from to which I have seen him use to drink from. Real plants are much reccomended for a chameleon, especially a veiled because they sometimes nibble it but MAKE SURE YOUR REAL PLANTS ARENT TOXIC. 6 times a day seems like too much, I do 2-3 times a day for about 2 minutes each.

6. Fecal waste has been normal according to the pictures on the thread pooping 101 on this forum sight. Have you had it tested?

The pot you see has small amount of water in to help ensure appropriate humidity levels. These don't help at all. buy a humitidy meter that makes sure you have the right percentage of humidity.

It is a mesh roof, the little humbug enjoys walking across it. Plans for more things to climb around on is in the works, I wanted to be sure he was eating and such before giving too many places to hide from me.

Lighting is an Arcadia solar basking spotlight, with 2 uvb 7% bulbs for his other lighting source. Ambient temperature in coldest part is 80°f minimum. Basking spot is about 110°f measured with small round exoterra thermometer. You have compact uvb. You need a t5ho fixture. There are plenty on amazon. Also move his basking spot 110F is too hot. basking temps should be around 85-95F

There are plans on getting a bigger setup, it was never intended to be long term. I haven't had it tested and hasn't been to my knowledge. I had worried I may have been over feeding him but was concerned about different things I was reading that I may not have been feeding him enough which is why I joined here to ask and get help from fellow chameleon keepers.

There are plans on getting a bigger setup, it was never intended to be long term. I haven't had it tested and hasn't been to my knowledge. I had worried I may have been over feeding him but was concerned about different things I was reading that I may not have been feeding him enough which is why I joined here to ask and get help from fellow chameleon keepers.
For a baby, that cage would be fine. But now that your lil guy is getting bigger, it needs an upgrade. Also see my feedback in red if you already haven't.

To shorten it, you'll need to cut back on his feeding, do more research on that calci dust brand of yours, (i've never heard of it so I don't know how good it is) buy a new cage with real plants, buy a humidity meter, lower his basking spot and buy a t5ho uvb linear fixture (urgent)

It's a well trusted brand and does have d3. I was introduced to it whilst at college. Already putting your advice into action don't worry. Thank you SO SO much. I have been really worrying. And thanks for not being mean about it, other forums I've been on people have been really rude and mean. I love the little guy and really do want the best for him :):)

Welcome and congratulations on your new buddy!

Couple questions:
-what is your supplement schedule? It might be helpful to post a pic of the supplements you are using
-what are you using to gut load? See image for recommendations.

Suggestions:
Pothos is an easy to care for and safe plant for veiled chameleons. You can find them at most any store that sells plants. Wash leaves with soap and water and repot in an organic potting soil. Add rocks to top of dirt that are bigger than what your cham could swallow.

Check out:
https://chameleonacademy.com for loads of info and inspiring pictures
Gingero's videos on youtube channel: neptune the chameleon. These really help to figure out how to apply the "care sheets".

Hope this is helpful to you!

Attachments

• JPEG image 2.jpeg
    JPEG image 2.jpeg
    192.3 KB · Views: 71
  • JPEG image.jpeg
    JPEG image.jpeg
    198.9 KB · Views: 112
That's actually another thing I've been getting mixed information on. I was dusting the crickets every day, each one individually. Awesome, I will try and pick some up asap. I was using carrots and potatoes but will be hopefully getting some of the Arcadia insect food but my pet shop was still waiting for delivery so I gave the carrots and potatoes.

So the general consensus is dust with calcium without d every feeding except every 7th day use calcium with d alternating with a multivitamin such as reptivite. I picked Sunday as the day I do either ca w D or the mvi. The way I dust is I tap the feeders into cup and just dip my clean tongs maybe 1/2” into the powder without pinching and tap the powder into the cup. Then shake around and feed. They should be lightly dusted and not look like powdered donuts. I’m sure there are other ways folks do it so try out a few ways and find what works best for you.

Back
Top Bottom