new pygmies and enclosure

shawn_melanson

Established Member
so i started with 2 pygmies and now i have 6 i am still relatively new to pygmy's so if anyone sees anything wrong with my set up let me know,ill be posting pictures of my enclosure witch is a 40 gal tank. also i have a couple questions. question 1 is can you help me make sure have the sex of my pygmy's right. question 2 im pretty sure i have 1 maybe 2 gravid females should i try to get the eggs out and incubate them of leave them in the tank to incubate the tank is always above 65 and below 87. i use coconut fiber for the bottom 3-4 inches deep and a false bottom.

photo 1- male

photo 2- small female

photo 3 male

photo 4- possibly gravid female

photo 5- possibly gravid female

Attachments

• photo 5.jpg
    photo 5.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 346
  • photo 4(1).jpg
    photo 4(1).jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 312
  • photo 3(3).jpg
    photo 3(3).jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 362
  • photo 2(3).jpg
    photo 2(3).jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 326
  • photo 1(3).jpg
    photo 1(3).jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 304
this is my enclosure sorry crappy cell pics and one more pygmy

thinking this is a male?

Attachments

• photo 1(2).jpg
    photo 1(2).jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 320
  • photo 3(2).jpg
    photo 3(2).jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 392
  • photo 2(2).jpg
    photo 2(2).jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 372
Thanks for sharing! Your setup looks good.

As for your questions. Sexing can be difficult even in person but pictures are even harder. I believe you have some right but not sold on them all. My opinion is 1. Male (100%) 2. I believe male, his tail isn't too long yet I vote male. 2. I don't know, I honestly want to say female but would need more pictures. 4. Female I could see being gravid 5. Female.

We take all our eggs out to incubate. You can leave them in but that is completely up to you.

Thanks for sharing! Your setup looks good.

As for your questions. Sexing can be difficult even in person but pictures are even harder. I believe you have some right but not sold on them all. My opinion is 1. Male (100%) 2. I believe male, his tail isn't too long yet I vote male. 2. I don't know, I honestly want to say female but would need more pictures. 4. Female I could see being gravid 5. Female.

We take all our eggs out to incubate. You can leave them in but that is completely up to you.

Thanks for the input ill try and get another pic hopefully I don't get confused with witch one it is haha

so i started with 2 pygmies and now i have 6 i am still relatively new to pygmy's so if anyone sees anything wrong with my set up let me know,ill be posting pictures of my enclosure witch is a 40 gal tank. also i have a couple questions. question 1 is can you help me make sure have the sex of my pygmy's right. question 2 im pretty sure i have 1 maybe 2 gravid females should i try to get the eggs out and incubate them of leave them in the tank to incubate the tank is always above 65 and below 87. i use coconut fiber for the bottom 3-4 inches deep and a false bottom.

photo 1- male

photo 2- small female

photo 3 male

photo 4- possibly gravid female

photo 5- possibly gravid female

Okay congrats on joining the pygmy famliy! I just love working with brevs and other pygmy species!

So just afew things to note. Your tank looks great, pleanty of ground cover and small pathways for them to travel. Temperature wise 65-80 is fine, anything over 80 can potentially harm your pygmys as they enjoy cooler temps. What does your lighting set up look like?

As for having multiple males in the same enclosure (even though its a large tank) watch out for "bullying" males can be pretty territorial especially if females are present. Your size tank should be OK for them as its recommended between 5-10gallons of space per pygmy.

Now on to sexing, as NHenn said above its hard to tell on pictures, especially when their tails are curled. If you can get pictures of them on a flat stick with their tails extended its much easier to tell. As well as having multiple in the same picture.

But my best guess from the pics are:
1: 100% male, 2: Male, 3: Its hard to tell from the pic, first pic looks like a male, 4:female, doesnt appear to be gravid, 5:female, possibly gravid.

The easiest way to tell sex from pygmys is to isolate a known male and see if he "displsys". Males eyes get a "+" pattern that is green"ish" in them when they get fired up for females.

Here are a few pics of a Male, and a male displaying for a female.

Attachments

• malerbrev.jpg
    malerbrev.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 338
  • Maleandfemalerbrev.jpg
    Maleandfemalerbrev.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 278
Okay congrats on joining the pygmy famliy! I just love working with brevs and other pygmy species!

So just afew things to note. Your tank looks great, pleanty of ground cover and small pathways for them to travel. Temperature wise 65-80 is fine, anything over 80 can potentially harm your pygmys as they enjoy cooler temps. What does your lighting set up look like?

As for having multiple males in the same enclosure (even though its a large tank) watch out for "bullying" males can be pretty territorial especially if females are present. Your size tank should be OK for them as its recommended between 5-10gallons of space per pygmy.

Now on to sexing, as NHenn said above its hard to tell on pictures, especially when their tails are curled. If you can get pictures of them on a flat stick with their tails extended its much easier to tell. As well as having multiple in the same picture.

1: 100% male, 2: Male, 3: Its hard to tell from the pic, first pic looks like a male, 4:female, doesnt appear to be gravid, 5:female, possibly gravid.

The easiest way to tell sex from pygmys is to isolate a known male and see if he "displsys". Males eyes get a "+" pattern that is green"ish" in them when they get fired up for females.

Thanks for the reply

Those are my temps there usually 70-73 with a slight drop at nigh, and for lighting its a 18" 15w 2.0 UVB bulb

Tthey all came together from the same guy who had them in the same tank and said he never had a problem I keep a good eye on them anyways though :)

Ill get back to you with more pictures as soon as I can

number 1-2 im positive are female im positive is female

number 3-4-5 is the one im un sure of i still say female but let me know what you think

Attachments

• pygm.jpg
    pygm.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 246
  • pygm 1.jpg
    pygm 1.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 296
  • pygm 3.jpg
    pygm 3.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 274
  • pygmy.jpg
    pygmy.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 253
  • pygmy 2.jpg
    pygmy 2.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 244

Excellent pictures, thanks

Yep! 1 & 2 female for me too. Number 3 looks male to me & 4 & 5 again look more female to me, but not as obvious as 1 & 2. Are pic's 4 & 5 the same animal?

This is a tough one. The third picture makes it look male but 4 & 5 look female lol. I would try to see if you could get them to display for each other as that will help.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom